• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse threatened by former friend - help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhatIn_TheHeck

What is the name of your state? GA

My husband did some computer repair work for one of his buddies. The buddy didn't want to pay him in cash, so instead he gave him a computer that he had purchased from Dell. He had purchased this new one before asking my husband to fix his old one, because he didn't think it was fixable. My husband fixed it, and the buddy told him to take the new computer because he didn't have the cash to pay him for the work (around $300 for the work) and he didn't want the new computer.
Fast forward over a year, and my husband has now moved to another job. This buddy all of a sudden starts threatening my husband through the mail saying he is going to file a case in small claims court against him for $537, because he doesn't feel like paying for the computer because he does not have it.
There was no written contract with the computer service or the gift, and the new computer has since gone to his mother's house to replace hers.
My husband basically just wants to give the guy the computer back so he'll stop whining (he's very money stingy) but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any advice that might change his mind.

fairisfair

sounds a little strange to me. Have a broken computer, get a new one. Decide to fix old one, and give new one away for repair cost. Why in the world would anyone do that???

WhatIn_TheHeck

I don't know why. The guy is an idiot and lives on the computer. I remember he told my husband something about the old computer having sentimental value.
He says he will file a lawsuit by April 5th if he doesn't have it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">