• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitation on judgement collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarieR

a judgement was placed on me for over 10yrs ago. It remained on my credit report for 7 or 10 yrs with a statement from me. Now they are trying to garnish my wages. I have to request a hearing to dispute it. Is there a statue of limitations on this? I read somewhere that is was 10yrs. I need some ambunition to take to court with me. Any advise would be appreciated.

JETX

A judgment in Illinois is good for 10 years from the date of issue. However, it apparently can be renewed by petition with the court.
Here is the Illinois Code on 'Renewal of Judgment'
"(735 ILCS 5/2-1601)
Sec. 2-1601. Scire facias abolished. Any relief which heretofore might have been obtained by scire facias may be had by employing a petition filed in the case in which the original judgment was entered, and notice shall be given in accordance with rules."
Source: http://www.legis.state.il.us/ilcs/ch735/ch735act5articles/ch735act5Sub18.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">