• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations for Small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DAS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SD

How long do I have to file a claim?
Rented our land for pasture grazing ‘07. The father and son team rented from us the year before and the final payment was tough but they paid by Nov. 06. Last year same situation said they were in a tough spot and would pay around Christmas of 07. I called them on Feb 4 of 08. Promised I would get paid, tough spot, father got cancer and they will rent our land again this summer. Called in April of 08, same song, fathers’ now at Mayo clinic. Found out had to sell their Bull to make ends meet to our neighbor which we know is true. Promised to rent asked us not to go back on our word keeping the pasture for them. Called May 20th of 08 this time the son was getting nasty. Trust was mentioned, father still at the Mayo clinic. Was still hopeful in renting our land but was applying for an Ag. Loan. Had a wet spring and early summer and would bring out cattle in July after they hear on their loan. Well now it’s Sept. No word. Never rented and no money. They pulled their cattle off last year on Sept 27th.
Also, I had tape recorded the last two phone conversations my wife and I had with him over the phone. Is tape recording allowed for evidence - just in case? Why did we tape? Odd feeling. Never minded the pasture renting too much this year had it covered with another plan but our rent money from last year?

Last edited:

JETX

SOL (Statute of Limitations) in South Dakota is six years (both oral and written)
§§15-2-6, 13 and §15-2-13

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">