• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute that covers gifts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bonjovi

What is the name of your state? MA

Does anyone know the Massachusetts statute that covers the law in regards to a gift that is given to someone?

Short scenario: I lived with a lady for 6 years during which time I became ill with kidney disease. For Christmas, she bought me a six hundred dollar treadmill. We used to travel a lot, but because of my declining health I am not able to and she asked me to leave. When I made arrangements to pick up everything she would not let me take the treadmill.

I believe the law is that you cannot take back a gift, but I wanted to know if anyone knows where I can find the statute covering this.

JETX

Bonjovi said:
I believe the law is that you cannot take back a gift, but I wanted to know if anyone knows where I can find the statute covering this.
No such statute. Part of 'common law'. Simply, what is yours, by purchase, gift or whatever, remains yours until you give it away, sell it or die.

JETX

You're welcome.
Oh, and I should have added.... or a court orders ownership to someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">