• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

64haskig

What is the name of your state? Colorado
We baught a dog from a gentlemen in Illinios that has not followed up on his contract and would like to know what the Statute of limitations is there? I'm aware that I need to file in Illinios because he didn't do business in my state.
Thanks,
Glenn

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Colorado
We baught a dog from a gentlemen in Illinios that has not followed up on his contract and would like to know what the Statute of limitations is there? I'm aware that I need to file in Illinios because he didn't do business in my state.
Thanks,
Glenn
what are you talking about here? do you have the dog?

JETX

We baught a dog from a gentlemen in Illinios that has not followed up on his contract and would like to know what the Statute of limitations is there?
Depends largely on exactly WHAT breach you are claiming occurred and what your contract says.

64haskig

We do have the dog. The contract states that upon full payment we would receive AKC registered paper, which we have paid and he has not delivered on. After time has went on, we have found out by his own admission that the puppies are not registered with AKC at this time. Both parents are from other countries and only one is registered. If you would like to see the contract I can produce it you both.

JETX

We do have the dog. The contract states that upon full payment we would receive AKC registered paper, which we have paid and he has not delivered on. After time has went on, we have found out by his own admission that the puppies are not registered with AKC at this time. Both parents are from other countries and only one is registered. If you would like to see the contract I can produce it you both.
First... the applicable Statute of Limitations:
810 ILCS 5/2‑725. Statute of Limitations in Contracts for Sale.
(1) An action for breach of any contract for sale must be commenced within 4 years after the cause of action has accrued. By the original agreement the parties may reduce the period of limitation to not less than one year but may not extend it.
(2) A cause of action accrues when the breach occurs, regardless of the aggrieved party's lack of knowledge of the breach. A breach of warranty occurs when tender of delivery is made, except that where a warranty explicitly extends to future performance of the goods and discovery of the breach must await the time of such performance the cause of action accrues when the breach is or should have been discovered.

Second.... your claim...
At best, you MIGHT recover the value difference between a dog without papers v. one with papers. Part of the value would be whatever your intent was with the dog. If your intent is to try to recover the full value of the dog... you have to be prepared to return the dog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">