• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations - State of New Hampshire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susans3

What is the statute of limitations on a loan which has not been repaid for small claims court in the State of New Hampshire?

In September of 1996 I issued a check to an acquaintance to buy tools for his carpentry business with a verbal agreement that he would repay me. The check is made out to him personally (not in his business' name)and has the word 'Investment' in the memo section. I have repeatedly tried to recoup this money, both in person and by letter (I have copies.) The letters have been ignored and the face to face confrontations are always the same..."I don't have the money right now."

Do I have an argument in small claims court?

JETX

Statute of Limitations in New Hampshire (years):
Open Acct.: 3
For Goods: 4
Written Contract: 3
For Goods: 4

If you are still within the SOL, it sounds like it will come down to: Can you convince a court that the money was a loan, versus can he convince the court that it wasn't a loan (gift?). And only know what evidence you have to support your position.

If within the SOL AND if you have sufficient evidence, you will probably win. Your call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">