• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-dad holding our mothers ashes,against her dying wishes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pegmom3

Next question

Do I pursue legal actions against our step-dad for my mothers belongings,assets that I'm told should have gone through probate because she did not have a will,vehicles that were to be mine and my brothers, but step-dad "got rid of them". Seeing as how it has been almost 5 years,I would like to know weather it's worth going after. I know he is next of kin, but he is NOT the only KIN. From what I understand we were due part of her "estate".

justalayman

Until the estate is submitted for probate, you have no idea what possessions were rightfully the husbands or had to be distributed to other heirs.

so, that, if there is no time limit preventing probate now, is the next step.

I can assure you nobody was specifically due any vehicles, even if they were titled solely in your mothers name. They would have a value placed on them and that value would be used to determine what, if anything, you were due. As long as you received that much value in cash or property, that is all you would be due.

whether is would be worth going after now is something that can only be determined by you and at least a rough accounting of the estate. If you believe there is enough value to go after what should be yours, then you do so.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">