• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepdaughter Left Personal Belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deangel3

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

When my stepdaughter suddenly moved out, she left some personal belongings. Now she is expecting us to ship them to her in New York. Since she left them, are we legally obligated to finish her packing and incur the shipping expenses?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

deangel3 said:
What is the name of your state? West Virginia

When my stepdaughter suddenly moved out, she left some personal belongings. Now she is expecting us to ship them to her in New York. Since she left them, are we legally obligated to finish her packing and incur the shipping expenses?

My response:

Ahhhhhhh, isn't that nice!

She's already captured the essence of the typical New York "attitude" - - "The world revolves around me, and screw the rest of you!" That's so heartening!

Tell her to bite rocks!

You don't have to do a damn thing for her, and any judge would tell her the same.

IAAL

M

Mandybelle

Don't tell her to bite rocks! That is so cruel! Why not tell her that you don't mind sending them as long as she pays for the boxes and shipping. I mean, she isn't even there to bother you anymore! Also, this world is so cold, the only thing many people have is their family!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Mandybelle said:
Don't tell her to bite rocks! That is so cruel! Why not tell her that you don't mind sending them as long as she pays for the boxes and shipping. I mean, she isn't even there to bother you anymore! Also, this world is so cold, the only thing many people have is their family!

My response:

That's a good point. However, you're missing the overall, and the bigger, picture.

First, the stepdaughter is an adult (if she moved out, one can assume that);

Second, the stepdaughter is obviously not considered "family" by our writer. Our writer is not a "blood relative" - - so, if our writer doesn't want to do the work of gathering and packing, tell me, where's the "obligation" to do so?

Third, why should our writer be obligated to do ANY work; i.e., obtaining boxes, packing the boxes, carrying the boxes, taking the boxes to a shipper, and all the other little work that is attendant thereto, EVEN if the shipping costs are pre-paid? Who's paying our writer for the work?

Look, if the stepdaughter wants her "stuff", and since she's apparently "mobile", and since it wasn't our writer's fault that the "stuff" is still at our writer's home, let the stepdaughter come get her own "stuff"!

My opinion STANDS - - on all fours!

IAAL

H

happynow

I agree 100% with IAAL, If she was in such a hurry to get out, she should have got ALL her stuff! Time to meet the cold hard world little girl......you want it come and get it!

D

deangel3

She had 3 days to pack and chose to lay on the couch the whole time instead. And if her father doesn't want to send these nonessential items, which by the way includes about 30 empty Fruitopia bottles and 2 bowling pins...then I am surely not going to do it. I was just wondering since she is threatening "legal action" do we really have an obligation. I obviously am inclined to believe the position of IAAL...she can break her teeth on those rocks for all I care as long as her dad doesn't go to jail! LOL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

deangel3 said:
She had 3 days to pack and chose to lay on the couch the whole time instead. And if her father doesn't want to send these nonessential items, which by the way includes about 30 empty Fruitopia bottles and 2 bowling pins...then I am surely not going to do it. I was just wondering since she is threatening "legal action" do we really have an obligation. I obviously am inclined to believe the position of IAAL...she can break her teeth on those rocks for all I care as long as her dad doesn't go to jail! LOL

My response:

Jail? She's threatening jail?

Wow, she IS a piece of work, isn't she?

You know, I'm beginning to like your stepdaughter more and more! She's got that New York spirit and spunk! She's got the attitude and the buzz phrases down cold!

You can't go to jail over this. But, it's really a crime that her stupidity isn't a crime. That would land her in Riker's Island for sure!

So, just to teach her a lesson, tell her, "Go ahead, file your lawsuit, stomp your feet, scream and yell all you want. But we're not lifting one finger for you, you lazy sack of crap!"

IAAL

jimnyc

IAAL, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your post!

I nearly spit out my coffee reading your reply. You have great knowledge of the law throughout, not just in California. And you certainly have a unique sense of humor! I come here daily to learn new things about law that interest me, and to get my daily share of "jokes". :D

Love the NY hatred!

Jim in New York!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Jim, while there's a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek and pizzaz to my writing style, there's also a certain amount of seriousness to my advice.

I try, as best as I can, to keep my writers, and you, the reading public, amused as well as interested in reading.

There's no reason why law has to be completely "dry".

And, despite the fact that you're a New Yorker, I'm heartened that you can look past the venom, and see the humor.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">