• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sticky situation with ex-roommates across state borders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zandra05

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

My friend and I were houseless for our fall semester of college in San Diego, so we decided to join our 4 guy friends from home (Hawaii) in their search for a place. They finally found one where my friend and I (the only girls) were required to share the laundry room/den paying $300/month each while the others with their own rooms paid $350/month. Realizing that we were last minute add-ons, we bit our lips and just decided to pay the unfair rent. I paid $353 for the deposit and $300 for the first month of rent.

However, towards the end of the summer, due to some financial difficulties, my family and I decided it'd be best for me to stay home in Hawaii rather than go back to San Diego for college. I immediately called my friend who was already moved in to the San Diego house who immediately said (and I quote), "Don't worry, you'll get your money back. Just give me some time to sort things out with the other roommates and then we'll get it back to you." He wasn't angry or anything at all. I figured it'd be even better for them because now my friend could have that tiny den to herself rather than having to share it. And $300 a month split 5 ways is practically nothing. After a few weeks passed, I finally called and texted that friend that I talked to about the money to no response. I called again, no response. I called another friend living in the house. No response. I called my girlfriend. No response. I've emailed them even willing to work out some deal/compromise. No response.

How do I go about getting my money back? At least the deposit portion which THEY'LL even be able to get back in the end. Would I have to file it up there in San Diego? Is this even a possible case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">