• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen check from mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hawks10

What is the name of your state? Mass

I mail out a child support payment every week to my ex. After viewing the check image online after it was cashed I noticed it her name was forged and Josh **** was signed below. I printed an image of the check and brought it to the police who tracked Josh down( he's 19 and lives 1 house away) and admitted he forged and cashed the check and wants to pay restitution. I know he took it from the mailbox but thats hard to proove- he said he found it down the street.

Anyway, I filled out lots of paper work at my bank (where he cashed the check!) and have yet to be issued a credit by them, and I haven't recieved any paperwork from the court about a court date for this since I filed a report at the PD.

I know this is a slam dunk to get back the $ for the check he cashed, but is there anything else I can get from him. I dont think he should get off just paying back what he stole!!

Thanks!

seniorjudge

hawks10 said:
What is the name of your state? Mass

I mail out a child support payment every week to my ex. After viewing the check image online after it was cashed I noticed it her name was forged and Josh **** was signed below. I printed an image of the check and brought it to the police who tracked Josh down( he's 19 and lives 1 house away) and admitted he forged and cashed the check and wants to pay restitution. I know he took it from the mailbox but thats hard to proove- he said he found it down the street.

Anyway, I filled out lots of paper work at my bank (where he cashed the check!) and have yet to be issued a credit by them, and I haven't recieved any paperwork from the court about a court date for this since I filed a report at the PD.

I know this is a slam dunk to get back the $ for the check he cashed, but is there anything else I can get from him. I dont think he should get off just paying back what he stole!!

Thanks!

You could sue him for the actual and direct amount of dollar damages you suffered as a result of his actions. I am not sure what that amount would be. Also, there should be criminal charges filed against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">