• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Credit Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suziinva1957

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law VA
My purse was stolen on 8/18/08 with 187.00 cash in it. The good folks managed to charge over 500.00 at Walmart within 15 minutes. I reported it to the police and called my bank to cancel the debit cards, and 2 dept. store cards. The debit cards were used on the 19th and 20th and my account has been charged for over 2000.00. I am sure in the long run I will get my money back. In the event the police ever make ANY effort to catch the folks, what can I sue them for in small claims court? (I am sure I will never see a penny, but I can live witha judgement against them.) I know I can sue for the cost of my purse, wallets, but what about the hours I have spent on the phone, the frustration, fear and the fact that I have no money until I get the bank to reverese all these charges?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law VA
My purse was stolen on 8/18/08 with 187.00 cash in it. The good folks managed to charge over 500.00 at Walmart within 15 minutes. I reported it to the police and called my bank to cancel the debit cards, and 2 dept. store cards. The debit cards were used on the 19th and 20th and my account has been charged for over 2000.00. I am sure in the long run I will get my money back. In the event the police ever make ANY effort to catch the folks, what can I sue them for in small claims court? (I am sure I will never see a penny, but I can live witha judgement against them.) I know I can sue for the cost of my purse, wallets, but what about the hours I have spent on the phone, the frustration, fear and the fact that I have no money until I get the bank to reverese all these charges?
The "good folks" that managed to wreak havoc on your life are most likely long gone and if I were a betting woman I'd say the police will have a very difficult time catching them. Unfortunately this is such a common crime, the police just doesn't have the resources available to them.

In fact let's say you did find out who these creeps were, and you did sue them; you would be wasting your valuable time. You'll never see a dime. Taking the criminals to court on just "principle" is ridiculous.

You really need to concentrate on getting your money back from the use of your debit and credit cards. Since they have had access to any important documents carried in your wallet (I hope you don't carry your SSN card - that is a VERY bad idea), you should look into some credit monitoring. It is an inexpensive way to keep tabs on your credit file.

take care, ana

suziinva1957

Thanks

Thanks Ana,

Ultimately, I will end up forgetting it. But, Walmart has them on video, we just can't get the police to bother to look at it and I know where the girls live that provided the "distraction" while my purse was stolen. I was helping someone out in the next city with yard work when it happened. Since I can't do anything until Monday, I figured I could spend the weekend buidling my case against them. Hopefully, the vendors, that did not bother to "SEE ID" as I had written in the signature part of the card, will want to get their money back and pressure the police.

tranquility

You will not be able to sue the police for the criminal acts of third parties. Period. If you try to sue for this, they will win and countersue for their attorney's fees. They will win.

Antigone*

You will not be able to sue the police for the criminal acts of third parties. Period. If you try to sue for this, they will win and countersue for their attorney's fees. They will win.
Hello tranquility,

I don't think the OP's intention is to sue the police. If what I read from her post, she is able to identify the person who stole her purse and wants to sue that person. I could be wrong but that was my interpretation.

I still think the OP should worry more about protecting herself and making herself whole financially instead of chasing a headless horse.

suziinva1957

Re Stolen card

I did not mean I wanted to sue the police. At the time, I couldn't understand why they didn't care. Now I do. My debit cards were used as credit at 3 major stores for just under 1000.00 each. The stores are the ones that are out of the money and they apparently are not interested in prosecuting. Seems like this is sending the message out to theives that as long as they keep their purchases from stolen credit cards under the 1000.00 ceiling, nobody will bother looking for them. :(

Antigone*

I did not mean I wanted to sue the police. At the time, I couldn't understand why they didn't care. Now I do. My debit cards were used as credit at 3 major stores for just under 1000.00 each. The stores are the ones that are out of the money and they apparently are not interested in prosecuting. Seems like this is sending the message out to theives that as long as they keep their purchases from stolen credit cards under the 1000.00 ceiling, nobody will bother looking for them. :(
Hello Suziivna,

You are right. It is a very sad message and very infuriating that people get away with this. This is one reason why we have higher prices for many of the things we purchase. The important thing is that you have been made whole. In your case the bank and/or the stores will be the victims. As long as you have your money back, call it a day and always take precautions. You are your own best defender.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">