• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Deposit Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaitsSE

Hi, I am UK based if that impacts the advice!
A woman posed as a landlady with a room to let, which I viewed and agreed to move into. We both signed a 'contract' (I have a picture of the document with both our signatures) with a move in date, etc, and I paid her the deposit direct to her bank account.
I didn't hear from her until less than a week before the move-in date, when she said she would have to cancel the agreement. She said she'd send the deposit back ASAP, and that was the last I heard from her.
I found out she does not live at that address, and has done this same process to a lot of other people - she was arrested and put on bail, which has just been extended due to more victims coming forward. The police woman dealing with the case said I should open a small claim against this woman, as the main case would probably not result in me getting my money returned. However the two email addresses I have for the woman are full, and they are the only way I have to reach her. The police woman has been no helping in trying to work out how else I can approach this, though the police do know the woman's real address and mobile phone number.
I can't afford a lawyer or a private investigator, can anyone give any advice on how to proceed? Many thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">