• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Ern

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krazemyk

Stolen Urn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My mothers ashes were handed to my aunt over two years ago in an urn that was roughly $500.00. She was handed the remains to allow her a time of mourning and time to get a keepsake of the remains and give the urn and remaining remains back to me. Since then she has not returned emails or phone calls in regards to getting my mothers remains and urn back...

I have since learned that she has given the remains to ANOTHER family member in another state (AR). And this family member is holding the urn hostage. She will not make any attempts to return it to its rightful owner.

What legal attempts can I take to get this urn back? Can I have a lawyer contact them and demand it be delivered back to me?

Thanks,
Michael K.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

krazemyk

Cremation was paid for by me and my brother... My aunt never even showed up to the funeral. She was handed the urn so she could have a mourning period. My mother and aunt were twin sisters, so i agreed to it. In the mourning period she agreed she would get a keepsake for herself then return the urn to me. She since then has not returned emails or phone calls in my attempts to retrieve the urn. I also learned that in this period of time she had given the urn to another sister who lives in Arkansas. So now my mothers remains and urn are in Arkansas. I asked her to return the urn to me, but she is telling me she is keeping the urn for a year or so. I cannot believe this because this person is a drug abuser and has a criminal record. I did not agree to the urn leaving California or agree to it going to anyone else after my aunts mourning period. I have no idea of her location and cannot make attempts to go to Arkansas myself. So - How do I get either the urn and remains back or can i sue my aunt who i originally handed the urn to...? Can I have a lawyer contact them to demand its return or they will get sued?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">