• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anumeric

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm unsure as to whether this is the correct category this would go in so please move if it should be else where...

I recently found someone online in my area that offered computer repair services.... I has some email exchanges with him and once satisfied with his perceived level of skill, his name, home address, and phone number i decided to take my laptop in to him to be serviced. Took it to his home and left it with him for the day and I returned the next day I believe to retrieve it. Because his fees were the lowest I'd found and the fact that he had returned my laptop promptly, I decided to also leave my step father's laptop with him at the same time of picking mine up. This all happened right around the beginning of 12/08.

Unfortunately I go to school a few hours away so left the laptop with him for about 3 weeks before having a chance to inquire about it again. After a few more emails back and forth the guy stopped responding. His last response was 12/28 (I know quite a bit of times has lapsed, but it was an out of commision laptop so my step father forgets about it and me being at school makes it hard to remember things like this).

What legal recourse do I have?

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm unsure as to whether this is the correct category this would go in so please move if it should be else where...

I recently found someone online in my area that offered computer repair services.... I has some email exchanges with him and once satisfied with his perceived level of skill, his name, home address, and phone number i decided to take my laptop in to him to be serviced. Took it to his home and left it with him for the day and I returned the next day I believe to retrieve it. Because his fees were the lowest I'd found and the fact that he had returned my laptop promptly, I decided to also leave my step father's laptop with him at the same time of picking mine up. This all happened right around the beginning of 12/08.

Unfortunately I go to school a few hours away so left the laptop with him for about 3 weeks before having a chance to inquire about it again. After a few more emails back and forth the guy stopped responding. His last response was 12/28 (I know quite a bit of times has lapsed, but it was an out of commision laptop so my step father forgets about it and me being at school makes it hard to remember things like this).

What legal recourse do I have?
If someone has your stuff without returning it, call the police.

If someone has your stuff because of a civil dispute, sue in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">