• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaykama

Ok this is a long story so bear with me. About a year ago my ex boyfriend was helping me move stuff out of my grandpas house because he was planning to sell it. While we were there my grandfather asked if I'd like this 1981 Yamaha dirt bike. I said yes. The bike was only driven once and had been parked in the living room since. There was no key so I couldn't even attempt to start it. At the time I was living with my ex. I moved out shortly after into a small apartment and left the bike and other belongings behind because I didn't have the room for it. I tried contacting them for my belongings a few months later but they just kept playing games. Finally a year later they give me back my belongings except the bike. They claim my grandfather gave it to my ex. He got a bond on the title and it is now in his name. The DMV told me he claimed to acquire the bike from a descendant that has passed away, which is a lie obviously. They also took apart the bike to fix it. I just feel taken advantage of and I want justice to be served. But I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. The DMV gave me a power of attorney for the bike but will it do me any good if the title is no longer in my grandfather's name? I need legal advice please!

Eekamouse

Ok this is a long story so bear with me. About a year ago my ex boyfriend was helping me move stuff out of my grandpas house because he was planning to sell it. While we were there my grandfather asked if I'd like this 1981 Yamaha dirt bike. I said yes. The bike was only driven once and had been parked in the living room since. There was no key so I couldn't even attempt to start it. At the time I was living with my ex. I moved out shortly after into a small apartment and left the bike and other belongings behind because I didn't have the room for it. I tried contacting them for my belongings a few months later but they just kept playing games. Finally a year later they give me back my belongings except the bike. They claim my grandfather gave it to my ex. He got a bond on the title and it is now in his name. The DMV told me he claimed to acquire the bike from a descendant that has passed away, which is a lie obviously. They also took apart the bike to fix it. I just feel taken advantage of and I want justice to be served. But I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. The DMV gave me a power of attorney for the bike but will it do me any good if the title is no longer in my grandfather's name? I need legal advice please!
I'm curious why you think it's okay to make these people provide you with free storage of your stuff? You should have taken all of your belongings when you moved out, don't you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">