• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdb04

A few weeks ago, I left a $1,300 ring at a tanning salon. There was only one girl working the store at that time. I went back to the salon the next day to inquire about the ring and the store manager looked in the safe and front desk, but the ring could not be found. I didn't file a police report at this time because I wasn't sure if it was stolen.
On Tuesday, February 21, I went back to the same salon and the same girl was working behind the desk. I looked down at her fingers (I've had my eye on all of the employees hands since it happened), and she was wearing the ring. I asked her about the ring and she told me that her boyfriend had bought it for her recently as an engagement ring.
I called management and they questioned her about the ring, but she is insisting that it is her ring. I filed a police report yesterday and the investigator will be reviewing tapes today. The issue is that I left it in the tanning room (where there are no cameras), so she cannot be seen actually TAKING the ring... you can only see me walking in with it, out without it, and then her going into/coming out of the room. The detective said that they cannot force her to show a receipt or proof of purchase.

If I were to take her to small claims court, would I have a case? She cannot prove that she or her boyfriend have ever purchased the ring. Not only do I have multiple pictures of me wearing the ring over the years, but I have a receipt as well as the tapes.

This all happened in Dallas, TX

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

A few weeks ago, I left a $1,300 ring at a tanning salon. There was only one girl working the store at that time. I went back to the salon the next day to inquire about the ring and the store manager looked in the safe and front desk, but the ring could not be found. I didn't file a police report at this time because I wasn't sure if it was stolen.
On Tuesday, February 21, I went back to the same salon and the same girl was working behind the desk. I looked down at her fingers (I've had my eye on all of the employees hands since it happened), and she was wearing the ring. I asked her about the ring and she told me that her boyfriend had bought it for her recently as an engagement ring.
I called management and they questioned her about the ring, but she is insisting that it is her ring. I filed a police report yesterday and the investigator will be reviewing tapes today. The issue is that I left it in the tanning room (where there are no cameras), so she cannot be seen actually TAKING the ring... you can only see me walking in with it, out without it, and then her going into/coming out of the room. The detective said that they cannot force her to show a receipt or proof of purchase.

If I were to take her to small claims court, would I have a case? She cannot prove that she or her boyfriend have ever purchased the ring. Not only do I have multiple pictures of me wearing the ring over the years, but I have a receipt as well as the tapes.

This all happened in Dallas, TX

what tapes are these, the tapes of her doing her job? That tape might show where you lost it, but not in any clear way who took it from where you left it.

swalsh411

How unique is this ring?

She cannot prove that she or her boyfriend have ever purchased the ring.
She doesn't have to. You have to prove it's your ring. Now I'm not saying you can't do that, but you shouldn't have the attitude in front of a Judge that assumes it's your ring unless she can show otherwise.

kdb04

It's a David Yurman ring, so it's definitely not one-of-a-kind, but in the 4 years I've owned it I've never seen anybody else with it.

I understand that it won't necessarily show who took it from where I left it. My only hope is she comes back out of the room with it on her finger (and that it is visible to the camera). My main question is would I have a case in small claims court if she cannot prove her boyfriend ever purchased the ring for her. I would be VERY surprised if an item was purchased from a department store or a David Yurman store within the past 3 weeks (when she claims her boyfriend bought it for her) and the store could not pull up a record of it.

Antigone*

How unique is this ring?

She doesn't have to. You have to prove it's your ring. Now I'm not saying you can't do that, but you shouldn't have the attitude in front of a Judge that assumes it's your ring unless she can show otherwise.
Exactly. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff.

kdb04

Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm going to have to scratch all my nice jewelry from now on so that if it gets stolen I can identify it... :confused:

asiny

Did my original post ask what I should have done?
No. But you must be some kind of idiot if you posted this;
Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm going to have to scratch all my nice jewelry from now on so that if it gets stolen I can identify it...
There was no stamping on the ring that directly connects your ring to the purchase?
You realise that expensive jewelry can be covered under your home insurance against theft, loss or damage?
Filed a claim on your lost ring with your insurance company yet?

kdb04

No. But you must be some kind of idiot if you posted this;

There was no stamping on the ring that directly connects your ring to the purchase?
You realise that expensive jewelry can be covered under your home insurance against theft, loss or damage?
Filed a claim on your lost ring with your insurance company yet?
That's your advice? That I'm some kind of idiot? That post was dripping in sarcasm.

Do you not understand why I'm posting on here? I'm asking for opinions because I don't know what all of my options are.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, you're going to have to prove that the ring she has is the same ring as the one you lost. Not one that looks like it, but actually yours. Who knows, maybe her b/f paid for it with cash and didn't keep the receipt. The store would only be able to see if one was sold in that time-frame (in that case), but not to whom. Which proves nothing.

Honestly, your best bet is to do as someone else suggested, and file with your own insurance. Since it is not a unique ring, there's is presumably not a huge sentimental attachment to THAT particular ring. It's not as though we're talking about the Hope Diamond, ya know?

And... the people here are volunteers and trying to help you. There is no need to get snippy with them. You got solid advice - including not taking it off. I have a ring which is of huge sentimental value to me (it's financial value is moot - but it IS a one-of-a-kind). I do NOT take it off anywhere except at home. If I anticipate needing to do so? I don't wear it that day (LOL And walk around feeling half-nekkid). It's just common sense, IMO.

asiny

That's your advice? That I'm some kind of idiot? That post was dripping in sarcasm.
No. That was my statement to your idiotic thought process for the future;
Thanks for your help! Looks like I'm going to have to scratch all my nice jewelry from now on so that if it gets stolen I can identify it...
Do you not understand why I'm posting on here? I'm asking for opinions because I don't know what all of my options are.
Three questions to elicit options, which you decided to not even answer (i've added further explanations as you may not have understood why I asked them);
1- There was no stamping on the ring that directly connects your ring to the purchase?
. If yes- as diamonds (if GIA certified) usually come with Laser Inscription Registry which is unique per diamond- and you have record of this, then you have proof.. the next step would be how to confirm it.
. If no- see 2.
2- You realise that expensive jewelry can be covered under your home insurance against theft, loss or damage?
. If not- then ask yourself how to prove it's your ring to continue a criminal investigation.
. If unknown- find out.
. If yes- then see step 3.
3- Filed a claim on your lost ring with your insurance company yet?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">