• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen snowmobile while at repair shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richardsjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Not sure what the best forum is for this problem, so I'll start here.

my nephew recently bought a snowmobile, in need of some repair, so he took it to a local small engine shop to be fixed. weeks went by and he never heard any update from the owner, so he called in to check on the progress and the guy said it had been stolen off his front lawn. Again, the guy never called my nephew to tell him this. My nephew went over to the shop with the police and the owner told the police the same story. Apparently the police were not very helpful, but simply said he could take the guy to civil court, however my nephew really can't afford it. Is there anything he can do? what is the responsibility of someone else's equipment when its being fixed at a shop? shouldn't the owner have some responsibility here? Seems very suspect with him not calling my nephew to report it stolen, or even the police. Something is not adding up. Any ideas?

justalayman

the shop owner stated the snowmobile was on the front lawn? Is the front lawn fenced in?

Other than suing the guy, not real sure what you are looking for. It appears to be a civil matter and that is how you resolve civil matters.

what is the value of the snowmobile?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">