• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

totalstress2222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My son bought a truck for $5,000 a few months ago he made the mistake of not taking the title right away to get transferred. He was putting a transmission in the truck which I bought! It was his first truck he bought for himself. The title was stolen, he did not notice it gone for a few days. He called and made a report, the cops know who has the truck but, say its a civil matter now. He was also, advised to not turn the truck over until after court. The people had the title put in their name with in those few days. My sons name was on the back of title as purchaser. He has tried to get a copy of the original title but, has to have the cop do that. He has witnesses that were there when the people were there while they worked on the truck. They claim they paid $500.00 for the truck. They went to court this morning but, it was set for another date to gather evidence. They have filed a counter suit of $500. What other evidence can he take to court in attempt to prove this? What is the chance they will win on fraudulent claims?

justalayman

The people had the title put in their name with in those few days. My sons name was on the back of title as purchaser.
if his name was on the title as purchase, how do you suggest they had the title put in their name?

does anybody have any receipts showing they paid anybody?

how did these people even get the truck?

totalstress2222

His name was on the back of title. I don't know if they forged his name or what they did. No, there is no receipts or bill of sale to these people. My son, has the receipt where he originally purchased the truck. They do not have the truck just the title.

if his name was on the title as purchase, how do you suggest they had the title put in their name?

does anybody have any receipts showing they paid anybody?

how did these people even get the truck?

justalayman

so, did he call the BMV to notify them of the situation? They could have put a hold on the title or made sure to inspect the title when submitted for transfer.

and where was the title that they would have had access to it?

His name was on the back of title. I don't know if they forged his name or what they did.
what do you mean forged his name? You say his name was on it. The only way they could have put it into their name was if his name wasn't on the title. The title with his name would have had to be submitted for transfer into his name and then if they were going to forge his name it would have been on that new title.

the only other way to do it would be to remove his name but that is generally quite noticeable and the BMV will not accept a title that has been altered like that.

totalstress2222

Yes, his name was on the back in the purchaser information section. I dont know what they did or how they did it. But, I know his name was listed on the back. Guess, he will have to do the best he can in court. These people text me acting like state police which I reported. They send text wanting it to stay out of court. Guess, he will have to have the police get the original title to see what was done. Thanks, for the input!

so, did he call the BMV to notify them of the situation? They could have put a hold on the title or made sure to inspect the title when submitted for transfer.

and where was the title that they would have had access to it?

what do you mean forged his name? You say his name was on it. The only way they could have put it into their name was if his name wasn't on the title. The title with his name would have had to be submitted for transfer into his name and then if they were going to forge his name it would have been on that new title.

the only other way to do it would be to remove his name but that is generally quite noticeable and the BMV will not accept a title that has been altered like that.

totalstress2222

How is that cheating taxes???? Paying taxes on a vehicle is not very much so, don't think cheating taxes is a good response!
If, he had the money to hire an attorney he would.

Your son was cheating taxes and got burned.

He should hire a lawyer to help resolve this.

justalayman

I think the though behind the tax thing is a suspicion son was not only title skipping but probably sold the truck to the folks with the truck but did not give a receipt for the full selling price so they too could cheat the tax man.

Personally the story sounds a bit contrived. I won't go as far as giving an opinion as to what I think might be happening as it would be nothing more than conjecture but something in the situation does toss up a few red flags.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">