• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen TV Update

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajkroy

What is the name of your state? NH

I am the original poster of a thread that had died (or so I thought). Thank you all for so many replies! There are actually a lot of assets to distribute from my father's estate, so my question about the tv wasn't my only inheritance; but it was my only tangible possession. The terms of the will seem to be fuzzy because the status seems to change daily. The executors were NOT named as such in the will -- they were designated by the named executor (my uncle) because he didn't want the job. I have not seen the will nor do I have access because I have been told by my sister that I am not entitled to know what it says, even though I am one of six of his heirs.

I think my sister made a police report, because she claims she was waiting for the police to arrive when she told me about the theft...and you haven't been the only ones to suggest that she took the tv herself. At the time of the incident, the house contained only one room of children's bedroom furniture, the tv, and a desktop computer that belonged to my 13 year-old brother (also stolen). During the garage sale, my sister took many groups of people past the tv through the house to see the bedroom furniture and it would have been obvious that no one lived there...and it may have proven tempting for someone else. Personally, I don't think my sister took it because I could visit her at any time and a tv like that would be hard to hide. However, no one else in the family knows about the break-in and no one has mentioned any damage created by the act. I don't think the serial number of the tv had been recorded.

My sister and I had been on good terms prior to this incident, so I don't think this was malice -- just laziness. She didn't pack up the tv to be shipped to me and didn't remove all the valuables from the home when she knew the insurance was expiring. I have thought about putting in a claim to the estate to receive the value of the tv after all is said and done; at the very least, that should reduce our enormous estate tax bill by a miniscule amount. Once again, my sister holds all of the strings (and contact information of the accountant and estate lawyer) and would never put in a claim on my behalf, because that would be admitting that she dropped the ball.

I have pretty much written off any compensation in this matter; I was merely looking to all of you to get some legal perspective and find out if I was out of line to feel jilted. I appreciate any feedback you may have, even if it is negative. Thank you in advance.

By the way, I know I never stated my gender in my original post, but I am female. ;)

Last edited:

JETX

ajkroy said:
I know I never stated my gender in my original post, but I am female. ;)
Doesn't matter.... you still should know better than to start a new thread to continue an old one!!!

ajkroy

Thread etiquette

I would have been happy to continue posting under the original thread, but the old one was closed with a padlock icon on it. Some people were requesting more information and I thought the least rude thing to do would be to start a new thread with answers to those questions. Sorry for the faux-pas. :eek:

T

thepizzaguy

JETX said:
Doesn't matter.... you still should know better than to start a new thread to continue an old one!!!
Jeez now I gotta resubscribe to another soap opera:rolleyes:

Of course you should feel "jilted". Have you spoke to your sister and expressed your feelings as well as you have done here?

Last edited:

ajkroy

Thanks, Pizzaguy. I have tried expressing my displeasure, to no avail. My sister can never be persuaded to see another's viewpoint if it differs from her own or portrays her in less-than-favorable light. Her only comment to me is that s*** happens. Nice.
:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">