• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop payment check on previous court case settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ridspals

What is the name of your state? MI

I had an ex roommate who didnt pay the rent for 2 months before the end of our lease agreement. I filed a case against her in the small claims court for the rent amount. Just before the scheduled hearing date she mailed me the check for the amount she got served with. I was fine with this out of court settlement and informed the court so.
I deposited the check she had mailed me almost 1 1/2month later. Since i was moving out to another state I never got a chance to deposit it earlier (wanted to deposit in a new bank account in the new state).
Then surprisingly I realized she had a made a stop payment as the check didnt get thru and my account was showing negative balance (will show for 15 days as i was told by my bank representative).
Now Im totally out of money, in terms no balance in my checking account as another check from a different person also got on hold because of this stop payment check.
Im planning to go to small claims court for justice.
My question is how much amount can i claim to measure the inconvenience i had to face due to this unwarranted situation by her. Im aware michigan small claims court is for upto $3,000. California court states 3 times the original amount for stop payment check.
But for michigan i dont see any exact info on how much can i claim, how can i measure my damages?
Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">