• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stop payment on checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

movingtwo

Massachusetts

I own a very small take out restaurant in MA. I recently received three checks back from my bank written by the same person and all had stop payment orders. I also have one check from the same person that I have not attempted to cash yet. I haven't had any complaints from this person who buys lunch from me quite often. I have his name, address and phone number. I called and got a machine and did not leave a message. I know there is a MA General Law somewhere about stopping payment for goods or services without cause and possibly treble damages including the charges my bank charged me. I cannot find the MGL regarding this matter. I would like to go to small claims court. I have been there before and feel comfortable doing so. I need to know what laws to look up and any information you could provide regarding stop payment issues. Thanks, movingtwoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">