• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Payment of Last Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pci123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida

I have a court hearing in the Small Claims Court, FL tomorrow since i'm sueing my employer for putting a stop payment or docking my last pay check.

I was working for xyz company since 10/08/07and left the company on 03/11/08. I was getting paid on an hourly basis and was paid bi-weekly, ie every 2 weeks. I had never signed any document pertaining to giving a 2 week notice at the time of me leaving the company either.

My last check that i'd received (for the previous 2 weeks work) was on 10/10/08 which i deposited in my bank account the same day. Due to unavoidable reasons i had to put in my resignation the very next day.

On 10/13/08, my bank informed me that a stop payment was put on the check that i'd already deposited in my account. The reason being "Confidential information indicates that the deposited check may not be paid".

At the pre-trail my employer claimed that they had done so since i'd cost them hundreds and thousands of dollars, which is absolutely not true. I had managed the entire office and took pride with the work that i did.

My questions here are
-- Does my employer have a case? Can he withold my pay, for which i've already worked?
-- What is the chance of me getting my money + expenses incurred for the trial?
-- If I do win, can he appeal to a higher court or just not pay?
-- If I don't win, can he make me pay for something I just haven't done?

I would appreciate if you could send me an answer as soon as possible so that it can help me tomorrow.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">