• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopped Payment after accepting & using tickets & hotel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebay

What is the name of your state? AZ

Because I work for an airline and get inexpensive plane tickets and resort arrangements, I agreed to obtain and cover on my credit card a companion's portion of plane tickets and room reservations for a weekend in Cancun (nice of me, wasn't it? - stupid, however). He wrote me a check before we left to cover both, for the full amount of $475.00. He took the trip, used the flights and the room, and then stopped payment on his check as soon as he got home. :mad: I paid my entire way - this is only about him paying for his, as agreed.

I have his original check which should indicate his agreement to pay. I also have proof that he went on the trip and used the tickets.

I live in Arizona. He lives in California. The check was written and handed over in Arizona. The check was drawn on a Wells Fargo Bank in California.

I assume I can try to recover in small claims court but does it have to be in California? Or Arizona?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

BlueBay

JETX

bluebay said:
The check was written and handed over in Arizona.\

I assume I can try to recover in small claims court but does it have to be in California? Or Arizona?
File in Arizona.

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
File in Arizona.
I agree since the check was passed in that state.

But I must ask, how will you collect on the judgment?

JETX

seniorjudge said:
But I must ask, how will you collect on the judgment?
Why are you asking rhetorical questions?? Your just 'feeding' the forum.
The obvious answer is.... domestication.

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
Why are you asking rhetorical questions?? Your just 'feeding' the forum.
The obvious answer is.... domestication.
Okay, let me ask OP the obvious question: Does the guy have any dough to make it worthwhile to have two legal proceedings in two states to collect $475 plus costs?

bluebay

Thank you.

To those that responded, thanks for your help. Since I can file in AZ, then it's worth it. I need to at least do something rather than let this guy walk all over me. I enrolled with "Prepaid Legal Services" and they are writing a letter first. Yes, he does have the money to pay. The check was written on his business in California, which appears to be doing well.

If he doesn't pay, I will have to then decide whether it will be worth the additional expense to garnish his bank account.

JETX

bluebay said:
The check was written on his business in California, which appears to be doing well.
Keep a copy of that check. If you win a judgment, you may need the information on it to pursue garnishment of the account. Of course, that is unless the judgment is against him personally, and the check is on a corporate account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">