• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meanlandlord

Tenant moved out and left a car in the garage, apparently he sold the title to another person before he left. Two days after the tenant left I changed the house locks and padlocked the garage the car was left in. Twelve days later the new owner of the car wanted to retrieve it.I asked for $20/day for storage,he said no way he would call the sherrif. Sherrif wouldn't agree with either of us,and asked if I would give up the vehicle, I said no, not without payment. Tonight I heard he has an attorney and wants to charge me with grand theft auto. Any ideas or advice?

quincy

Tenant moved out and left a car in the garage, apparently he sold the title to another person before he left. Two days after the tenant left I changed the house locks and padlocked the garage the car was left in. Twelve days later the new owner of the car wanted to retrieve it.I asked for $20/day for storage,he said no way he would call the sherrif. Sherrif wouldn't agree with either of us,and asked if I would give up the vehicle, I said no, not without payment. Tonight I heard he has an attorney and wants to charge me with grand theft auto. Any ideas or advice?
I think you should unlock the garage and give the car to the new owner, if he has proof of title. The amount involved here ($240) is not worth the possible headaches you are liable to suffer should you insist on storage fees.

Indiana Filer

Do you have a contract with the new owner of the car where the two of you agreed on storage fees? If not, you aren't going to get them. Just let him get the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">