• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage Unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JCanseco

What is the name of your state? California

I moved in with my ex boyfriend in 2002, at which time I got rid of most of my furniture, and household items because he had a house full....2 months later he lost his house to forclosure, which was shock and news to me as I had given up my apartment and much of my stuff, and then had to leave behind more items as there was not enough room in the storage unit, he told me he would replace those items for me later....we broke up 1 month later....as of April this year, he had quit paying the storage fees (which he assured me he would pay, as he needed the unit, and I could leave my few things (two couches, a dining table and a maybe 6 boxes) in the unit as long as I needed and because he owed me in his words)...the unit was due to go to Auction on April 26....I paid $690 (mgr discounted it slightly for me) to save the items from auction. I then paid the May's storage fee of $175....he then a month and a half after the auction date left a money order (without speaking to the storage manager or me) at the storage unit office for $1100 (along with a note that he signed "Lt. Colonel US Army Pentagon....which he is not!!)...upon the storage manager letting him know that I already paid it, he left Junes payment of $175 and took back the remaining money. He refused to pay me back a single penny and told me that he left the $1100 so that it was paid in advance till Dec/Jan....I moved into a new place as of Sept. 26...when I went down the week prior to get my items out of the storage unit...the mgr told me that no he took back the money and that it was due to go to the auction again a few days later...I paid another $410 to AGAIN save it from auction. I took everything out of the unit, and have sold most of his stuff...I set aside any personal items of his or keepsakes to give back to him. He is now threatening (a month later) that if I don't let him have his stuff he will have me charged with Grand Theft. He says he does not have the money to p ay me back the $1275 that I have put out...
Can he have me charged with Grand Theft? Can he sue me?

Last edited:

JETX

"Can he have me charged with Grand Theft?"
*** No. He would have to file a complaint with the police who would investigate. Based on your 'version', I don't see them filing charges against you.

"Can he sue me?"
*** Yes. Anyone can sue almost anyone over almost anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">