• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage Unit let someone take a piano out of my unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ugagrad03

Georgia

I had things put in a storage unit in Atlanta Georgia. This is a large chain and is very safe. I moved everything out of my unit except for an antique piano (250 years old). I was going to donate the piano, and was waiting for a church or non-profit to come pick it up. I continued to pay for the unit for another two weeks. I also moved away from the unit, so could not be there myself. The storage unit put their own lock on the unit so they could show people the piano. Someone called and claimed they were with a church and asked if they could come look at the piano. I called the unit and told the woman on the phone that a man named Robert was coming by to look at the piano - and she said she would show it to him. I said he was only LOOKING at the piano, as he had not provided a donation receipt to me yet. He came and looked at the piano and left. A few days later, he came back to the unit without my knowledge. The woman let him back into the unit and let him take the piano away. They never called me to see if it was okay. Now the piano is gone and the "church" he was with as disappeared... Do I have any legal rights here?
The only problem I see is that I was two weeks past due on my storage unit and this man (Robert) paid the remaining balance to them. Will that hurt my case?

JETX

Do I have any legal rights here?
Based SOLELY on the information in your post, it would appear that the storage unit may be liable for their 'negligence' in not contacting you for confirmation of the donation.

The only problem I see is that I was two weeks past due on my storage unit and this man (Robert) paid the remaining balance to them. Will that hurt my case?
You will have to read your storage rental agreement to see if two weeks is sufficient to waive your rights to the storage. Otherwise, they would have to post a public auction on the contents of the unit.

Read the information at: http://www.storagelaws.com/Georgia.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">