• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stuck-n-middle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mxmom2

What is the name of your state? KY.

TWO BROTHERS IN A PARTNERSHIP BUSINESS. I'M THE GIRLFRIEND OF ONE BROTHER . I AGREED TO LEND THERE BUSINESS 5,200.00. WE SAT DOWN AND DISCUSSED THE DETAILS. MY BOYFRIENDS BROTHER( WE WILL CALL SAM) SAID HE WOULD LIKE TO PAY ME OFF IN ABOUT A YRS. TIME. I TOLD HIM MY CONCERNS ABOUT MY MONEY NOT EARNING ANY INTEREST AFTER I TAKE IT OUT. HE SAID HE WOULD PAY 250.00 ON THE END FOR INTEREST. HE ASKED ME IF I WANTED ANYTHING IN WRIGHTING , THAT HE WOULD DRAW UP SOMETHING FOR ME THAT THIS WAS STICKLY BUSINESS. I SAID THATS OK, I'LL THINK ABOUT IT. WE NEVER DID.
I WENT TO THE BANK ON 5-27-03, MADE A WITHDRAW FROM MY SAVING, 5,200.00 THEN GOT A CASHIERS CHECK FOR SAME AMOUNT MADE OUT TO: FRANKFORT PLUMBING DIVISION, CALLED SAM TO SEE HOW I SHOULD SIGN CHECK, HE SAID SIGN IT IN THE BUSINESS NAME, SO I DID. EVERYTHING GREAT, HE GAVE ME 1,600.00 THE NEXT MONTH. THEN THINGS CHANGED, SAMS GIRLFRIEND AND I GOT INTO AN UGLY ARGUMENT. GUESS WHAT, YAH, THE MONEY STOPPED, NOT ONLY THAT BUT HE THEN DECIDED THAT HIS BROTHER OWES ME HALF OF THE LOAN. THE CHECKS I RECIEVED CAME FROM THE BUSINESS ACCOUNT WITH BUSINESS NAME ON IT NOT HIS PERSONAL ACCOUNT. SAM CONTINUED TO PAY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. 100.00 HERE 100.00 THERE OVER THE NEXT YEAR AND A HALF. HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANYTHING FOR A YEAR AND THERE IS STILL A BALANCE OF 2,250.00. MY BOYFRIEND HAS LEFT THE BUSINESS WITH NOTHING, NO SERVICE TRUCK, NO TOOLS, NO NOTHING. EXCEPT FOR THE DEBT SAM SAYS HE OWES ME. SAMS SAYS HE HAS PAID HIS HALF.
SO, I HAVE BEEN SITTING BACK WAITING TO SEE IF THEY COULD WORK THIS OUT, BUT I NO LONGER BELIEVE I WILL SEE ANYMORE MONEY. SAM WILL NOT BUDGE. HE HAS CLOSED THE BUSINESS AND SAYS THERE IS NO MORE DEBT ON THE BUSINESS. SO, DO I TAKE HIM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT OR GET A LAWYER WHICH I KNOW I'LL BE OUT MONEY, OR DO I FORGIVE AND FORGET? I HATE TO SEE HIM GET OUT OF PAYING MY DEBT. I'M I WRONG. WHO'S DEBT IS IT?

Shay-Pari'e

He offered to put it in writing and you declined, yet did it anyway's. If you can prove this was a loan to him, and him only, then get your receipt for the check and go for it.

However, you made the check out to the business, and your boyfriend was a owner in that business.

It doesn't sound like you got much except a lesson.

BL

:D
Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

Yes I'm stuck in the middle with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Well you started out with nothing,
And you're proud that you're a self made man,
And your friends, they all come crawlin,
Slap you on the back and say,
Please.... Please.....

Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see that it makes no sense at all,
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor,
'Cause I don't think that I can take anymore

Please.... Please.....

Stuck in the middle with you,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mxmom2

He offered to put it in writing and you declined, yet did it anyway's. If you can prove this was a loan to him, and him only, then get your receipt for the check and go for it.

However, you made the check out to the business, and your boyfriend was a owner in that business.

It doesn't sound like you got much except a lesson.
Shay-Pari'e,
Thanks for responding, I'm new at this, so bear with me please.

What I don't get is, why would one brother pay half of his debt out of the company money and the other brother has to pay half his debt out of his own pocket? The company pays each partner a weekly pay check. Sam wrote payments to me out of the company money.

Sam says he's done and my boyfriend owes the rest.

Another example is, they bought another company truck, borrowed the money from there dad. The company paid him back. My boyfriend never paid a dime from his salary.
If the business borrows money from the bank for equipment, they don't pay that out of there own salary.
My point is this was for a business license that went straight to Frankfort, ky. Not a personal loan. If this was a partnership, then the equipment, trucks, tools, and bank balance after debts paid, should have been split between the two of them, but it was not .
One brother kept it all. Sam never came to him and said you owe half of Lowes bill.
Do you see what I mean?

mxmom2

:D

And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep this smile from my face,
Losing control, yeah, I'm all over the place,

Please.... Please.....

Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see that it makes no sense at all,
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor,
'Cause I don't think that I can take anymore

Please.... Please.....

Stuck in the middle with you,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the reminder

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">