• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student needs help to pay off tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnychan

Hello, I am a fulltime student attending university in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am not sure if I am writing this in the correct forum.

On my first night living in my dorm room, I got drunk and at around 1 am I went outside for a cigarette and brought a glass of beer with me. Upon leaving, there were 2 cops there and they called over to me and I proceeded to pour out my beer. They saw this happen, and began to yell at me and claim I was going to get ticketed. In my drunken state, I got angry at the cops and began to tell them I didn't think what they were doing was fair. Eventually I ended up being hand cuffed and taken to the drunk tank for the whole night. I would like to point out that I wasn't actually that drunk and by the time I got to the police station I was basically sober. When I was arrested I was about 10 steps away from my dorm and I still don't understand why the cops couldnt just let me return to my residence. While everyone else in the tank was either passed out or yelling beligerantly, I was calmly sitting counting down the seconds until I was let out.

Anyways, I also got a 120$ ticket for being drunk in public and a 450$ ticket for having alcohol in public. Obviously, 600$ is a huge sum of money for a full time student to pay.

I have a court date about a month and half from now, and I plan on either contesting the tickets or just asking for the mercy from the judge. I feel I could explain that being thrown in the drunk tank was punishment enough. Perhaps I could also simply explain that I made a mistake on my first night as a student, and that it won't happen again.

What is my best option for having the tickets either cancelled or reduced? What exactly should I say to the judge? Thanks so much for any advice.

Last edited:

johnnychan

wow... such bad people. seriously, you would be ashamed of yourselves but you're actually too stupid, so i just feel bad for you.

justalayman

wow... such bad people. seriously, you would be ashamed of yourselves but you're actually too stupid, so i just feel bad for you.
we are stupid?

You are the one the deleted the question "what state" and the statement US law only and then ask about Canadian law and we are stupid.

Oh, and I'm not worrying about some tickets for being stupid and breaking the law either.

cyjeff

Aww... then here, pooky. I will help you.

Get a job and pay for your ticket. Your mouth probably allowed you to go from a warning to $600 worth of tickets.

You say you weren't that drunk... YOU YELLED AT A COP THAT HIS HASSLING YOU FOR DRINKING IN PUBLIC WASN'T FAIR...what, exactly, would your definition of "drunk" be, then?

You being thrown in the drunk tank will have no pull on the judge. None. Not even a little.

You have a nice day, now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">