• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student purposely broke my laptop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veoozo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am in high school, and my school has a bring your own device policy that allows students to bring their own laptops and tablets. This kid today picked up my bag and said "I hope theirs nothing valuable in here" and then dropped it on the ground. I just found out when I got home that the laptop is completely broken, the screen, keyboard, chassis, body, etc. are all smashed in and shattered. This is a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which cost me $1300. I am furious and do not know what to do. No phone number to my school is currently being answered (it is Friday). The policy for BYOD states that damage to property is not the fault of the school. I was not able to check the condition of the computer after it was purposely dropped because the final bell had rung just after the incident to go home. I am realizing that I screwed up by not having time to inspect the laptop because it was last block just before the bell rang. I am not sure if anybody else heard it, but he did purposely drop it after I said that my laptop was in it. Do I honestly have a legal stance here? I have emailed my superintendent, principal, assistant principal, and guidance counselor. I took photos of the damage, the laptop, the case, and the bag exactly as it was. I was with two friends that can vouch for me for two hours after school, I was not going into my bag. It was two hours after school that I left my friends and went inside and discovered it. I have another friend that I walked to my bus with, so I guess that he could vouch that I did not drop my bag going to the bus. I have a teacher that may have seen the laptop in perfect condition earlier in the day. What do you think? I had an idea of trying to secretly record on my phone me approaching him and in a joking way asking about him dropping the bag and say like a pen broke or something, just to get him to say that he did indeed break it. Thanks.

Proserpina

Are you going to be nice and polite to the posters on this board, or will they be treated to the same rudeness you showed elsewhere?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I am in high school, and my school has a bring your own device policy that allows students to bring their own laptops and tablets. This kid today picked up my bag and said "I hope theirs nothing valuable in here" and then dropped it on the ground. I just found out when I got home that the laptop is completely broken, the screen, keyboard, chassis, body, etc. are all smashed in and shattered. This is a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro which cost me $1300. I am furious and do not know what to do. No phone number to my school is currently being answered (it is Friday). The policy for BYOD states that damage to property is not the fault of the school. I was not able to check the condition of the computer after it was purposely dropped because the final bell had rung just after the incident to go home. I am realizing that I screwed up by not having time to inspect the laptop because it was last block just before the bell rang. I am not sure if anybody else heard it, but he did purposely drop it after I said that my laptop was in it. Do I honestly have a legal stance here? I have emailed my superintendent, principal, assistant principal, and guidance counselor. I took photos of the damage, the laptop, the case, and the bag exactly as it was. I was with two friends that can vouch for me for two hours after school, I was not going into my bag. It was two hours after school that I left my friends and went inside and discovered it. I have another friend that I walked to my bus with, so I guess that he could vouch that I did not drop my bag going to the bus. I have a teacher that may have seen the laptop in perfect condition earlier in the day. What do you think? I had an idea of trying to secretly record on my phone me approaching him and in a joking way asking about him dropping the bag and say like a pen broke or something, just to get him to say that he did indeed break it. Thanks.
You have told your parent(s) about your damaged computer? It is probably covered by homeowner's insurance. Your parents can file a claim.

And, although you can make a report to your local police, it will be very hard (without a confession by the fellow who smashed your computer) for the police to do anything or for you to file any civil action against the fellow.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How was I rude? Can you please offer me assistance?
How were you NOT rude?

No, I will not offer any assistance to such an entitled little brat as you have proved yourself to be elsewhere. And the fact that you do not even recognize how rude you were makes it all the worse.

quincy

How was I rude? Can you please offer me assistance?
You have showed no rudeness to those on this forum, veoozo, so you were offered assistance.

Unfortunately for you, your history on other forums has followed you here. There are a few contributors on this site who also post to other forums.

I took a quick look at how you responded to the advice offered you on another legal advice site (advice that does not differ all that much from what you have received here, by the way) and I have to say that you were less than pleasant to the forum members there.

When asking for FREE advice (whether you are asking it of people online or in real life), it is important to show appreciation for anything you receive. It is the old "please and thank you" manners you were taught as a child. If you are not polite, no one is going to want to assist you.

Good luck.

Just Blue

How were you NOT rude?

No, I will not offer any assistance to such an entitled little brat as you have proved yourself to be elsewhere. And the fact that you do not even recognize how rude you were makes it all the worse.
On what site was the entitled brat on?

Just Blue

You have showed no rudeness to those on this forum, veoozo, so you were offered assistance.

Unfortunately for you, your history on other forums has followed you here. There are a few contributors on this site who also post to other forums.

I took a quick look at how you responded to the advice offered you on another legal advice site (advice that does not differ all that much from what you have received here, by the way) and I have to say that you were less than pleasant to the forum members there.

When asking for FREE advice (whether you are asking it of people online or in real life), it is important to show appreciation for anything you receive. It is the old "please and thank you" manners you were taught as a child. If you are not polite, no one is going to want to assist you.

Good luck.
Ahhh Quincy!! You are the epitome of all that is kind. :cool:

Just Blue

How were you NOT rude?

The rude child should ask mumsey to pay an Attorney for advice. ;)

veoozo

Why are you calling me a rude entitled brat? Because of an expensive laptop? What can I do about this situation?

I'mTheFather

Why are you calling me a rude entitled brat?
I believe the posters have been clear that you behaved as one on the other site.
Because of an expensive laptop? What can I do about this situation?
Did you see this post??
You have told your parent(s) about your damaged computer? It is probably covered by homeowner's insurance. Your parents can file a claim.

And, although you can make a report to your local police, it will be very hard (without a confession by the fellow who smashed your computer) for the police to do anything or for you to file any civil action against the fellow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">