• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena for Bank Info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eap84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi guys,

I'll be heading into small claims court soon and to prove part of my case I want to prove that the defendant received checks from another party(I don't have the name or any other info on this person, but I know they do exist).

I know I can subpoena a witness to appear in court, and I know I can subpoena the defendant to produce whatever documents I ask for, but is there anyway I can subpoena his bank directly and get the info from them?

Also, what I'm specifically looking for is proof that the defendant deposited checks from that 3rd party, so I want a copy of the actual check he deposited. So if I can't the subpoena the bank directly, I'm thinking I'd order him to bring bank statements and a copy of all the checks he deposited that show up on the statement. Would that be enough?

Thanks

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi guys,

I'll be heading into small claims court soon and to prove part of my case I want to prove that the defendant received checks from another party(I don't have the name or any other info on this person, but I know they do exist).

I know I can subpoena a witness to appear in court, and I know I can subpoena the defendant to produce whatever documents I ask for, but is there anyway I can subpoena his bank directly and get the info from them?

Also, what I'm specifically looking for is proof that the defendant deposited checks from that 3rd party, so I want a copy of the actual check he deposited. So if I can't the subpoena the bank directly, I'm thinking I'd order him to bring bank statements and a copy of all the checks he deposited that show up on the statement. Would that be enough?

Thanks
I don't know . It all depends on the numbers and if they correspond with your suit .

Why not just try an information subpoena also ?

You might get lucky and he answers it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">