• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sucker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rudabek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?virginia
We let our daughter and her fiance borrow $900 to move into a townhome and loaned him money to pay his car insurance, car payment, and his storage unit fees. We have checks for all of it but the 900 which was cash. My daughter and he were both present when we gave them the money and they agreed to pay this. He left her and even though she has paid her half he now refuses because he says he didn't sign anything. He also left his broke down automobile on our property for 10 months and we told him several times if he didn't remove it we were going to charge storage fees. Even though he didn't sign anything do we have a chance at getting his half of the 900 or storage fees?

OHRoadwarrior

You could try a small claims suit. You would need your daughter to attest there was a verbal contract. Whether you win or not is a different story.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?virginia
We let our daughter and her fiance borrow $900 to move into a townhome and loaned him money to pay his car insurance, car payment, and his storage unit fees. We have checks for all of it but the 900 which was cash. My daughter and he were both present when we gave them the money and they agreed to pay this. He left her and even though she has paid her half he now refuses because he says he didn't sign anything. He also left his broke down automobile on our property for 10 months and we told him several times if he didn't remove it we were going to charge storage fees. Even though he didn't sign anything do we have a chance at getting his half of the 900 or storage fees?
IMHO, it sounds to me like you are pissed off at the now-ex-fiance and just looking for a confrontation of some sort.

These outlays of funds COULD easily be seen as gifts for your daughter and her partner. Even if you discussed it as loans, without something in writing confirming that it was a loan could backfire on you. The problem here is that any agreement that is not in writing is only as good as the paper it's written on, and without solid proof, they can be difficult to near impossible to enforce.

Because you paid that last $900 in cash, that's going to hurt you. No receipt, nothing that even hints that it was a loan.

As far as storage fees for the car, you cannot legally charge these either, because you never had an agreement to charge them in the first place. You cannot impose an obligation where one never existed. You CAN, however, send the ex-fiancee a letter NOW (Certified Return Receipt Requested) stating that they have X days to remove the vehicle or you will either have it towed or removed at the owner's expense, or REASONABLE storage charges will start to accrue beginning as of now. At that point, the ex-fiance is being given ample notice and opportunity to remove the vehicle or face being charged LEGALLY.

rudabek

It's definitely not revenge or to get even. He had agreed since the monies were loaned that he would pay back the money. My daughter paid her half of everything and it's only fair he should have to pay his half. As for the storage fees, he was given a CERTIFIED letter in January and the car was just now finally moved Septmeber 17th. In the letter we said $10/daily as the tow companies charge $40-$50/daily. Whiile I appreciate your advice I would appreciate you not trying to make out that I am that type of person without even knowing me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">