• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue big out of state company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pcraner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I purchased a product from abig company and the product failed costing me over $500.00 in excess utility bills. I sent the product back and filled out forms about what happened and they denied my claim. The product was brand new and had an obvious defect. I am in North Carolina and the corporation headquarters are in Illinois. Can I still sue in small claims court and are there any other options?

Thank you, Pat

Yes, you may sue in your home State. Some States require you to file with the State's Attorney General when the defendant's address is out of State. Your Small Claims Court may help you there. Check first.

What you will need is all the documentation that came with it, especially the serial number. After filing your claim, fill out a subpoena for return of the merchandise. Verify the merchandise they return has the same serial number.

Proving the product is defective and that it caused you extra utilities, is YOUR job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">