• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue Empire Today or Carpet Installer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Big Daddy Dave

California.

Empire Today sent 2 guys to install carpeting. One of them scratched our hardwood flooring while moving furniture from the dining room back to the newly carpeted living room.

I notified Empire the same day. A week later they sent an unrelated contractor to appraise the damage. He told me, "To do it right the entire first floor should be refinished."

Empire told me to get quotes to refinish the floor. Two companies that specialize in floor repair/restoration told me the first floor (approx 700 sqft) needs to be refinished. This is the only way to ensure the flooring matches again.

I sent the quotes to Empire. Weeks later I was told another contractor and a Empire manager would come out to appraise the damage.

A month and a half later, the installer contractor came out with a Empire rep. The contractor said he could make it "perfect" by only repairing the boards that were damaged. This is wood, each board is unique, the flooring is well-kept, but about 29 years old.

Four days over the course of two months the installer contractor finished his work. The 'repaired' boards do not match the surrounding flooring.

Do I sue the contractor or Empire?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California.

Empire Today sent 2 guys to install carpeting. One of them scratched our hardwood flooring while moving furniture from the dining room back to the newly carpeted living room.

I notified Empire the same day. A week later they sent an unrelated contractor to appraise the damage. He told me, "To do it right the entire first floor should be refinished."

Empire told me to get quotes to refinish the floor. Two companies that specialize in floor repair/restoration told me the first floor (approx 700 sqft) needs to be refinished. This is the only way to ensure the flooring matches again.

I sent the quotes to Empire. Weeks later I was told another contractor and a Empire manager would come out to appraise the damage.

A month and a half later, the installer contractor came out with a Empire rep. The contractor said he could make it "perfect" by only repairing the boards that were damaged. This is wood, each board is unique, the flooring is well-kept, but about 29 years old.

Four days over the course of two months the installer contractor finished his work. The 'repaired' boards do not match the surrounding flooring.

Do I sue the contractor or Empire?

Thanks.
What did Empire say when you showed them that the repair was not effective?

Big Daddy Dave

I actually contacted them twice in the past 3 weeks - once through the local customer service rep I first contacted when the floor was damaged. The second time I spoke to a lady from their corporate offices in Illinois. Both times I suggested they send an independent inspector to look at the floor because I was not happy with how it looks.

Both times I was told something like, "We'll get back to you."

justalayman

So send them a letter informing them they contractor was not able to match the finish and demand a remedy. Give them a short period of time to contact you to initiate the a conversation. If they do not contact you and offer a remedy you are willing to accept, get estimates and initiate a suit to recover your damages.

I would include empire and the original installer (company and actual person) that installed the carpet.

Big Daddy Dave

If they do not contact you and offer a remedy you are willing to accept, get estimates and initiate a suit to recover your damages.
Understood. Just to clarify, I mentioned in my original post, Empire initially directed me to obtain quotes, which I did. At that time it appears they realized the amounts were more than they anticipated, so they then sent a contractor and a manager to my house. This is how the guy got in to do the half-baked repair.

I called Empire several weeks ago - one of many calls - to get a mailing address. Initially the rep refused to give me this information, saying they do not give out their address. Ok. So I got an Illinois mailing address from Google. And with that mentioned, I'm sure they won't answer a question about who I should address this letter to, so am I sending it to "Whom it may concern?"

And thanks for all the great feedback!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Understood. Just to clarify, I mentioned in my original post, Empire initially directed me to obtain quotes, which I did. At that time it appears they realized the amounts were more than they anticipated, so they then sent a contractor and a manager to my house. This is how the guy got in to do the half-baked repair.

I called Empire several weeks ago - one of many calls - to get a mailing address. Initially the rep refused to give me this information, saying they do not give out their address. Ok. So I got an Illinois mailing address from Google. And with that mentioned, I'm sure they won't answer a question about who I should address this letter to, so am I sending it to "Whom it may concern?"

And thanks for all the great feedback!
Your initial contract with them should have their contact information.

Big Daddy Dave

Settled out of court

If the forums are moderated, please close this thread as resolved. Even though I filed a small claims case, Empire Today and I were able to settle this issue just about 2 weeks before going to court.

My thanks to Zigner and justalayman for their feedback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">