• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sue employer for lost wages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kashnowe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? maryland

i recently lost childcare and had to take 30 day leave if absence to find more childcare. i initally went to quit as soon as i found out and told my boss i needed to find a new job that would be able to schedule me according to my new availability (normal business hours) previosuly i was working a few different shifts and not a set schedule. he begged me not to quit and promised me if i found new childcare that he would schedule me accordingly and everything was fine. so i found new child care and returned to work. my new schedule reflected the agreement that was made. later that day my boss told me that his superior told him he was not permitted to give me a set schedule and he had to immediately stop that and put me back to my original availability as stated on my original work application (which was 3pm-11pm) so i spent $800 on childcare based on a promise made to me. the promise was broken. i have no need for the childcare now because they only operate until 6pm and my new schedule has me working 3pm - 11pm. so now i am where i started. im without childcare and probably going to be fired because i will not be able to report to wrk at all this week. if these people had never promised me this schedule and my job i would have never spent all my money on daycare during the day. if i had known they would change their mind AFTER i went through all that trouble i would have just quit, not taken a leave, and spent that month looking for a new job. so now i am out of a month's wages from when i took leave and $800 in childcare expenses that i didnt even need. i already know i cant' sue for wrongful termination because im an at will employee..but can i sue for other damages? like my childcare costs and lost wages?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What ever happened in the Clark/Shelton case?
Week two of the trial. It's been a circus. Lots of defense-strategy shenanigans including the defendant's initial refusal to dress appropriately for court, and his attorney's attempt to have the prosecution barred from using the words "victim" and "police officer". The judge has already taken the death penalty off the table.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">