• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

New York Mikkey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York OK... I have an order of protection on me, she was a friend, not a lover whom i had a long friendship with. We got into a very heated argument, hence the order of protection. This was in April of 08,and after going to court, i agreed to a simple violation and a full final order of protection for 2 years i think. In January, 2 detectives come to my house, and tell me that she said that i text messaged her and that they were there to arrest me. The message, stated that i was going to tell her husband, about her infidelities, a message that i did not send. Anyway i was arrested, i went to court, and the judge ordered my phone cell fone records to see if i did it. I pled not guilty, and after the review of my records, the case was dismissed. Now, ive lost time from work to go to court 4 times, i was arrested and had to post bail, i was in jail for a couple of days. Also, every time i see a police car in front of my house, i live in fear that they are going to stop and arrest me for bogus charges. I know i cant sue the police, they are doing their job, but can i sue her for falsely accusing me of contacting her? Thanks in advance.....

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York OK... I have an order of protection on me, she was a friend, not a lover whom i had a long friendship with. We got into a very heated argument, hence the order of protection. This was in April of 08,and after going to court, i agreed to a simple violation and a full final order of protection for 2 years i think. In January, 2 detectives come to my house, and tell me that she said that i text messaged her and that they were there to arrest me. The message, stated that i was going to tell her husband, about her infidelities, a message that i did not send. Anyway i was arrested, i went to court, and the judge ordered my phone cell fone records to see if i did it. I pled not guilty, and after the review of my records, the case was dismissed. Now, ive lost time from work to go to court 4 times, i was arrested and had to post bail, i was in jail for a couple of days. Also, every time i see a police car in front of my house, i live in fear that they are going to stop and arrest me for bogus charges. I know i cant sue the police, they are doing their job, but can i sue her for falsely accusing me of contacting her? Thanks in advance.....
You should have requested the she be charged with making a false report / instrument back when the Judge dismissed upon evidence.

You should consult an attorney to see if you have any actual damages , taking the dismissal ruling with you.

New York Mikkey

Thanks

Thank you. I do have the dismissal report and the dismissal happened yesterday, so i am heading over to small claims and file a claim. I was friends with this person for 25 years, and the only thing that bothers me is im not sure if she even falsely accused me.... It may be a third person that said this to her and she honestly believed that it was me. Regardless im going to file, because i cant live in fear every time i see a police car pass down my street. If you speculate and are wrong it isnt my fault. Unfortunate for her..

BL

Be aware small claims is for monetary damages , not emotional fear.

Also ,if you want to think about receiving damages for time in jail from a false report ,consult an Attorney .

If you received the dismissal papers yesterday ,you can think about contacting the PD or DA about filing charges for filing a false instrument .

Get a copy of the police report that alleged the text message first.

You don't know if a 3rd party reported it ?

It would have had to the the plaintiff in the no contact order .

New York Mikkey

Hi bl, Let me say thank you for replying. Yes maybe i worded it incorrectly. I am sure the plaintiff recorded the complaint of course, or else there would be no reason to arrest me. They said so( detectives ) and so said you tried to contact her. What i was implying about a third person was, maybe a third person texted her those things, and the plaintiff thinks that i did it. In other words she didnt willingly know for sure that i contacted her, she merely speculated, and was wrong. My question is do you really think that i should consult an attorney? Is it worth it in the end? Attorneys dont work for free, and would it be worth it in the end? I am going to get all the paperwork as you said.. Copies from PD etc. Are you an attorney? Would you take my case in your opinion?

BL

Hi bl, Let me say thank you for replying. Yes maybe i worded it incorrectly. I am sure the plaintiff recorded the complaint of course, or else there would be no reason to arrest me. They said so( detectives ) and so said you tried to contact her. What i was implying about a third person was, maybe a third person texted her those things, and the plaintiff thinks that i did it. In other words she didnt willingly know for sure that i contacted her, she merely speculated, and was wrong. My question is do you really think that i should consult an attorney? Is it worth it in the end? Attorneys dont work for free, and would it be worth it in the end? I am going to get all the paperwork as you said.. Copies from PD etc. Are you an attorney? Would you take my case in your opinion?
While I certainly think you should consult an attorney.

If you were successful in having her arrested and convicted of filing a false instrument against you causing your incarceration,etc , then I'd say consult an attorney .

Possibly then Attorney fees could be added to any Judgment.

Of course that a different court that small claims .

In the meantime , you could sue ( not saying you'd prevail ) for your monetary loses in small claims .

Filing fees are small .

Google NY Guide to small claims court .

In NYC ( if you are ) , and NY state in gen ,if outside NYC areas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">