• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue for money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkIITRD

I want to sue my ex girlfriend for money she owes me and is now refusing to pay. I'm from Tronoto Canada and she is from Huntingto beach California.
The only proof I have are emails and text messages, I dont have the western union receips. The emails only say that she will pay me back by a certain month but doesn't indicate the amount. Do I have a case?

And will I be ble to file the case here in toronto? This in turn making her pay for plane ticket, hotel etc. and maybe knocking some sence in her that it will be better off if she just pays me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Banned_Princess

I want to sue my ex girlfriend for money she owes me and is now refusing to pay. I'm from Tronoto Canada and she is from Huntingto beach California.
The only proof I have are emails and text messages, I dont have the western union receips. The emails only say that she will pay me back by a certain month but doesn't indicate the amount. Do I have a case?

And will I be ble to file the case here in toronto? This in turn making her pay for plane ticket, hotel etc. and maybe knocking some sence in her that it will be better off if she just pays me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
this is LAW ONLY.

No you will not be able to sue this girl in Canada.

and you cannot include travel costs or the motel stay in your complaint.

mkIITRD

At the time I lent her the money she was living in New Jersey. Does that mean the case would have to be filed there?

Thank you

sandyclaus

...And you WILL NOT be able to sue her for your travel expenses (hotel, car rental, meals, etc.) for having to come to California to sue her, either.

Banned_Princess

Thank you for your hep.

Do I have a strong case with text messages and emails? They dont indicate the amount she will pay back. Just her promising to pay me back.
yes, its minimum, but just because you get a judgement against her, does not guarantee you will ever see the money. you cant report to credit agencies, and unless she ownes property you cant get a lien on the property.

how much money are we talking here?

why did you lend money to someone you didnt know, or met online?

mkIITRD

yes, its minimum, but just because you get a judgement against her, does not guarantee you will ever see the money. you cant report to credit agencies, and unless she ownes property you cant get a lien on the property.

how much money are we talking here?

why did you lend money to someone you didnt know, or met online?

No I didn't meet her online. Met her on a trip and we were together for just over 6 months. I work for an airline so I fly cheap so I would fly down to see her and thats how things worked. Its not much money ($1200). Was lent to her cus she was short on rent a couple times. Its not much money I know, but its the principle of people keeping their word. Things ended fine between us its the fact that I have a downpayment on property next month and the deal was for her to pay me before then. She now refuses to pay and this really upsets me.

She owns a car can I get a lien on her car?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No I didn't meet her online. Met her on a trip and we were together for just over 6 months. I work for an airline so I fly cheap so I would fly down to see her and thats how things worked. Its not much money ($1200). Was lent to her cus she was short on rent a couple times. Its not much money I know, but its the principle of people keeping their word. Things ended fine between us its the fact that I have a downpayment on property next month and the deal was for her to pay me before then. She now refuses to pay and this really upsets me.

She owns a car can I get a lien on her car?
There is no way at all that you will see any money by next month through a law suit.

No, you're not going to get a lien on her car.

mkIITRD

There is no way at all that you will see any money by next month through a law suit.

I now don't expect the money by next month. I'll be fine for my downpayment. Its more of making ppl keep thier word because I always do so it really upsets me when ppl lie like this.

sandyclaus

Even if you file today, you'll be lucky if you get a court date within the next 6-8 weeks as most Small Claims court dockets have that long a wait before your case would be heard.

And even if you DO win a lawsuit, all you get will be a judgment. It would still be up to you to do the collecting. Since you are living in Canada, that might take a lot more time and effort than what you are expecting or hoping.

mkIITRD

Even if you file today, you'll be lucky if you get a court date within the next 6-8 weeks as most Small Claims court dockets have that long a wait before your case would be heard.

And even if you DO win a lawsuit, all you get will be a judgment. It would still be up to you to do the collecting. Since you are living in Canada, that might take a lot more time and effort than what you are expecting or hoping.
Yeah I see what your saying. Leaning towards just forgetting about it.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">