• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sue the owner or the LLC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwilso3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Georgia. I hired a guy to re-upholster my couch. He did it, dropped the couch off. We looked at it quickly, paid him, and he left. When we closely examined the job he did we realized that the stitching was unacceptably crooked. I called him several times to see what he was willing to do to make things right, but he has avoided my calls. I contacted the BBB, but don't expect any results. I will take him to small claims court but don't know if I should sue him or the LLC. He is the owner of the business.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Georgia. I hired a guy to re-upholster my couch. He did it, dropped the couch off. We looked at it quickly, paid him, and he left. When we closely examined the job he did we realized that the stitching was unacceptably crooked. I called him several times to see what he was willing to do to make things right, but he has avoided my calls. I contacted the BBB, but don't expect any results. I will take him to small claims court but don't know if I should sue him or the LLC. He is the owner of the business.
**A: when you say he is the owner of the biz are you saying that the LLC is the legal owner of the biz?

jwilso3

Will I need to bring another re-upholsterer to court to testify that the job that was done was unacceptable by professional standards or should I just take pictures?

HomeGuru

Will I need to bring another re-upholsterer to court to testify that the job that was done was unacceptable by professional standards or should I just take pictures?
**A: it depends upon the amount of your claim and type of court.

HomeGuru

The whole job cost $1500 and it's going to small claims court
**A: then up to you. Read your paper work carefully. You may have accepted the shoddy work but virtue of paying for the work and accepting the item at home with no complaints. Why did you not carefully inspect the work before paying him?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will also have to overcome the burden of the fact that you ACCEPTED the work.

ETA: Yeah, what he said!

jwilso3

From a distance it's not noticeable because the stitching is clear in some places and close to the color of the couch in other places. When you look closely at the couch it's very noticeable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">