• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by ex in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ikaje

I'm being sued by an ex who lives in Texas. I live eight hours away in Oklahoma and when we were together, we both lived in Oklahoma. While together, I cosigned on a school loan and an auto loan. I had my name put on the title of the car when the latter was done.

Since we broke up, she refinanced the car loan but not the school loan. Therefore, I never signed over the car to her. Several months later she requested that I sign a temporary power of attorney form for her bank. I declined to do so. She then said she'd get my name out of her school loan if I signed over the car. I declined to do this for several reasons, as well. She filed a lawsuit against me the next month (February) requesting half of what she's paid for the car, half of her insurance, half of her gas and half of maintenance along with full ownership of the car. She has had full use of the vehicle and I have never driven it. Ten months later, I have finally heard back from the Texas Justice of the Peace with a hearing date.

So my questions are, how can a court move forward with a lawsuit against someone who lives out of state, has no business in Texas and over something that did not take place in Texas?

It's a big inconvenience for me to have to take off work, drive eight hours and spend money on a hotel for me to defend myself in court over a cheap civil court matter that she filed. Is there anything that I can do to prevent from having to show up to the court hearing or to have it dismissed? Would I need to hire a lawyer and if so, how much would these services typically cost?

What happens if I don't show up? I'm guessing it would default in her favor, then she could try to get the car and money out of me (that I wouldn't pay) and then I'd have warrants out for me in the state of Texas?

What is my best option?

Thanks in advance.

ikaje

Anyone have any insight?

I've recent heard of filing a "special appearance" for a motion to dismiss the case on a lack of personal jurisdiction but was told I should have done that before ever answering the court.

Because I've answered the court (making a "general appearance") is there any way that I can send in a letter for a special appearance by phone or am I forced to show up on the court date now to defend myself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">