• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by Ex-Boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blue45

Texas:

I am being sued by my ex-boyfriend of 6 years for $3,000.

In February, I purchased a motorcycle (for my ex) that he voluntarily returned to me (wrecked with 3,000miles) when we broke up 2 months later.

We never lived together, had any joint bank accounts, or purchased anything together.

When we signed the papers, I put the bike, $7,500 (with the VIN number, TT&L, etc.) under my name, and he put the remaining balance $2,800 (accessories, gear, etc.) on his credit card. Now, he is suing me for $3,000, the "down-payment" on the motorcycle, plus his court costs. ( there was no "down-payment") These were two separate transactions. He was not a co-buyer or a co-signer in the purchase of this bike; he now has the accessories that he purchased and I have the bike.

Am I entitled to pay him that money?

I have filled a countersuit for the repair costs on the bike, but during mediation he stated that I can't proove that he wrecked the bike. He said that I wrecked it and put all the miles on it. There really isnt any proof that he wrecked it because he left the scene of the accident, and there is no claim on the insurance. How can I disproove his lies?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

JETX

Am I entitled to pay him that money?
Entitled?? Of course you can pay him if you want.
However, if you mean are you OBLIGATED to pay him, based solely on your post, no.

How can I disproove his lies?
Of course, we can't help you there since we don't know the FACTS... or what lies are being said. You have to try to convince the court that he did cause the damage... maybe by contacting the other (damaged) party and telling them who caused the damage and fled the scene. They might even testify that the person involved in their accident was a male.... and you get to fry his ass with the court and the police (hit and run is a criminal act).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">