• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by an incompetent NYC broker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

masticationiske

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,
I am being sued by a broker who did not introduce me to my apartment. (I saw it through another broker first) He did not broker the deal in any sense as he claimed that I did not have enough info (letter of employment as a new resident) to obtain the apartment. Meanwhile, time was ticking, and anyone could have rented the apartment while he is not brokering the deal. The owner of the apartment (who I knew through friends unbeknownst to me) contacted me personally and got me in touch with the management company saying that it was okay to rent the apt with a large deposit. Deal done. Even argued for a slightly cheaper rent. Got the keys and moved in. Then the broker started calling 10-20 times a day requesting payment. Now we have court.

The only problem I forsee from a legal standpoint is that the application we eventually turned in was on the broker's stationary.

any advice or angle?

Thank you so much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,
I am being sued by a broker who did not introduce me to my apartment. (I saw it through another broker first) He did not broker the deal in any sense as he claimed that I did not have enough info (letter of employment as a new resident) to obtain the apartment. Meanwhile, time was ticking, and anyone could have rented the apartment while he is not brokering the deal. The owner of the apartment (who I knew through friends unbeknownst to me) contacted me personally and got me in touch with the management company saying that it was okay to rent the apt with a large deposit. Deal done. Even argued for a slightly cheaper rent. Got the keys and moved in. Then the broker started calling 10-20 times a day requesting payment. Now we have court.

The only problem I forsee from a legal standpoint is that the application we eventually turned in was on the broker's stationary.

any advice or angle?

Thank you so much.
Pay the broker, as you agreed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">