• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued over Severence Package!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Intermax

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I worked for a wireless internet company two years ago before it was bought by a new owner. The new owner brought with them their own network administrators and promptly layed me off.

During my termination meeting they told me that they would provide me with one months wages and said that they would consider another bonus check in 6 months. They also said that I could continue to use their wireless internet service for two years as part of my severence package.

Now, nothing was written down in any way shape or form. No contracts were signed and I went home. Got my checks and continued to use their internet service.

Two months later I get a call from their secretary wanting my credit card number so she could keep it on file so when the time came they could begin billing me. The company had several cases of overcharging and doublecharging customers due to their terrible accounting person. I told this person that when it was time for me to be billed, they should send me a bill via regular mail. She agreed and I went on with my life.

Just before the two year anniversary of my termination date I unplugged their wireless radio and ordered Verizon internet service and I have the Verizon bill to prove it.

Now two months after that a guy serves me with papers stating that they're suing me for $1,400 plus $300 for attorney fees for two years of service!

They never sent me a bill, they never turned off my service which they could do at any time, and they never called me even one time!

What rights do I have? What can I do?

Last edited:

JETX

What rights do I have?
You have the same 'rights' as anyone else. You can either:
1) Negotiate the best 'settlement' you can and pay them, or
2) Ignore them and get your documents together to defend yourself from their claim in court.

The problem here is that without ANY evidence of the severance that you claim it is unlikely that you will succeed. In hindsight, you should have sent them a letter at the beginning confirming your understanding of their settlement.

When I signed up for my internet access, I signed a contract with the provider. If you did not sign any such service contract, then that will help you in court. They will have to argue that there was an implied contract, i.e., that you were receiving a benefit so that it's only fair that you should pay for it, but your consideration lies in your prior service and termination.

So your first step should be to ask the company to send you a copy of the contract you signed agreeing to pay for the wireless internet access.

cyjeff

You have the same 'rights' as anyone else. You can either:
1) Negotiate the best 'settlement' you can and pay them, or
2) Ignore them and get your documents together to defend yourself from their claim in court.

The problem here is that without ANY evidence of the severance that you claim it is unlikely that you will succeed. In hindsight, you should have sent them a letter at the beginning confirming your understanding of their settlement.
On the other hand, THEY don't have a contract either.... though a pretty fair case of use...

Hmmm...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">