• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued twice at the same time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justice111

What is the name of your state? MN

I'm being sued by someone in district court (served Feb 2004) and in concilliation court trial set for 9/1/05 for issues from the same incident. Can I be sued in two courts at the same time?

The plaintiff settled with one of the other parties in district court for $15,000 and his atty. kept $5,000 of it for his fee and the plaintiff is suing me in concilliation court to recoup the $5,000 his atty. charged him. Can he do that?

seniorjudge

Q: The plaintiff settled with one of the other parties in district court for $15,000 and his atty. kept $5,000 of it for his fee and the plaintiff is suing me in concilliation court to recoup the $5,000 his atty. charged him. Can he do that?

A: I don't know what conciliation court is but have you told whoever it is that is running that court about this? Have you told them about the district court case? That should've settled everything.

What did the judgment in the trial court say about you and attorney's fees?

Sounds like the guy has a frivolous claim.

Countersue him for a frivolous complaint for twice what he is suing you for.

Justice111

In MN they call smallclaims court conciliation court. The Plaintiff released one of the other defendants (the big fish, a car dealership) with a peringer release. No other info. After the settlement his atty. and he split up because the atty told him to drop the rest of the matter. My guess is he can't find another atty to take the case and is trying his luck in small claims court, yet he still has not dropped the other case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">