• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing the BEST MAN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhattoDO22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

So,

I just got married. The first day of marriage is not what I was expecting. I received a call from the resort/hotel that hosted my wedding. It turns out that my BEST MAN was found in a room passed out the next morning. They was no reservation for said room and house keeping kicked him out. They found physical damage to the window sill and screen. There was a cigarette burn in a leather chair and butts found in the room with tobacco found in multiple places. My best MAN said the door he used to get in the room was not locked. It was one of those double doors that two rooms could share. I don't think that helps me in this scenario but i thought i would mention it. Long story short the hotel wants to charge me $900 for damages ($500 for property and $400 for staying the night in that room.) I tell my best man this and he admits he did stay the night there and to smoking in the room over the phone. He calls the resort later and says he will not be paying anything because he doesn't think he has to. He also thinks that the resort is hustling me and cannot charge me for the damages and they have to come after him. He does not have a credit card on file for any rooms at the resort. (The resort has multiple cards of mine...the wedding was expensive lol.) The resort is not in hurry to charge me because they know I had no idea what was going on during the night. They want to charge him but he will not provide a credit card. I am wondering what my options are: Should I sue my best man and just pay the resort? It is illegal to smoke in most hotel rooms in Washington State is there anything that I can do with that. Please help because I thought I had a friend, A BEST MAN and it turns out he is a slimy piece of poop.

I signed a contract with the resort saying a) Both parties (resort and my wedding party) would follow all federal, State, and Resort rules and laws. b) Any guest charges or fees left unpaid would be the responsibility of the Wedding Party to cover.

UPDATE: My best man is not paying a thing nor is he trying to solve this matter with me. I would like to sue him but I'm not sure if I will win since I signed a legally binding contract to the resort for my wedding party. I was wondering since he did physical damage to the property if I can sue him for that.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
No need for a new thread - or at least link to old one.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/hotel-damage-best-man-628292.html?posted=1#post3435448

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">