• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sueing a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wgrnakrs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ma.

Am I wrong? My dad gave me a car this past summer as my son wrecked my car and I was without. It is a 85 mercury marquis, needless to say I didn't want to drive it as it was to big.
I was offered another car from a friend and didn't need this one, and I was going to sell it to another friends son for 500.00. It has brand new tires, exhaust and break system, and a slew of new hoses plus other things. My dad took good care of this car and he knew it would last me along time.
When my friend lenny was out of a car I offered him the mercury for free. just because someone did something nice for me, I thought it would be the right thing to do. Anyway Lenny didn't want to take the car for free and asked me what I would sell it to him for. I told him 300.00 and asked him if that was a fair price. He said yes, and he would have the 300.00 when he got his check the 13th of Oct. He still hasn't paid me said that I lied to him about the shape its in and is going to drop it off in my yard..He has been driving it since Sept. The bill of sale I made out was sold " AS IS" Do I have a case for small claims court?
Help!!

BL

If the bill of sale has an amount , yes you can take it to court.

Don't agree for him to bring it back .

If he drops the car off and leaves , send him a Certified return receipt letter , and advise him that you will consider the car abandoned within 30 days , if he does not retrieve it.

Also advise him for every day it remains on your property you will charge $10.00 storage fee.

If he drops it off on a Public street , don't touch it .

Sure you have a case for small claims court. But is that what you really want to do? Is your friendship with Lenny worth $300? You can pretty much count on your friendship being over if you sue him. It would be extremely rare that a friendship survive a lawsuit.

If this Lenny is an important friend, maybe you should write the $300 off to a character flaw he has and make a note to note loan him money or sell him something without getting the money up front first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">