• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing Grandmother Possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jetsmell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio I have been in a visitation battle to see my son. My ex. b.f. has full custody. This all is caused by his mother. Later, can I sue her, and possibly the county for damages. I haven't seen my son in over seven months. Has this ever been done before?

cyjeff

No, you cannot sue someone because you lost in court.

Your ex has custody, but you want to sue his mother and the county because you didn't get what you wanted?

No, you can't.

There is much more to this story. Very few courts completely eliminate one parent's influence in a child's life.

Just Blue

Your ex has custody, but you want to sue his mother and the county because you didn't get what you wanted?

No, you can't.

There is much more to this story. Very few courts completely eliminate one parent's influence in a child's life.[/QUOTE]

Per OP's posting Hx she is an ex junkie.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio I have been in a visitation battle to see my son. My ex. b.f. has full custody. This all is caused by his mother. Later, can I sue her, and possibly the county for damages. I haven't seen my son in over seven months. Has this ever been done before?
Whatever you think, neither the grandmother or the county "caused" your present situation. No one forced you to take drugs.

And as has been stated before, the courts rarely give full custody to one or the other parent unless it has been justified (through reports from social workers, guardians ad litem, etc.). IF you have been going through a visitation battle for 7 months, clearly you have not yet shown the court good enough reason to give you the right to visit your child. (Just wanting it isn't enough, being an ex-junkie, you have to EARN that right.)

Could very well be that one of the reasons why you do not yet have visitation or custodial rights is that you refuse to accept responsibility for your own situation - as in WHO got you there in the first place. The fact that the courts have granted full custody to your ex-B/F, allegedly also an ex-junkie, speaks more to the fact that he has a support system and seems to be taking care of his responsibilities.

Bottom line, NO. You have no case or cause to sue the grandmother or the county for circumstances which you created yourself through your own drug abuse.

Antigone*

No, you can't.

There is much more to this story. Very few courts completely eliminate one parent's influence in a child's life.[/QUOTE]

Per OP's posting Hx she is an ex junkie.
Very sad :(. If she were truly and EX-junkie she'd have taken responsibility for her actions, not blamed it on grandma. I highly doubt the Ex part.

jetsmell

I gave full custody to him.He was living with his parents, and I thought that enviroment was better for my son. He promised at the time that I could see my son at least three times a week.That's my fault for getting that in writing. Since the birth of my son , I am successfully receiving treatment at a methadone clinic, and am almost done. Since the birth of my son, my ex. has violated his felony probation seven times. His current g.f has party plates on her car and needs to blow in order to start her car. She drives my son around all the time, since my ex. has a suspended license, which he violated twice recently. My point is, that I doing everything right. The grandmother just blames me for her son's mistakes, and it's not good for my son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">