• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing for $5k in auto damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QuincyArcher

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm suing a party for roughly $5k in auto damages. They hit me from behind, but claimed it was a hit-and-run. Although I and one other witness (who may not be able to show up in court) saw nothing of the sort.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to present the case in the best manner possible. Here is all the evidence I have that it was the other party's fault and NOT that of a hit-and-run driver:

1) When the other party reported the hit-and-run driver, they reported the car as a Saturn to their insurance company, while the police report filed by them said it was a Honda.

2) The driver of the car apologized initially but then suddenly changed their story when another person arrived on the scene.

3) The driver offered me a discount on auto repair and gave me a card with the information on it, saying they were not going to go to the police. (But then later did.)

4) There was NO visible damage on the back of the other person's car.

I have an estimate signed by the auto repairman detailing the damage costs. Is there any other documentation anyone would recommend taking? The case is in 1 week. Thanks.

Justice For All

It is all in the police report, especially dealing with #4. As long as the police report reads no visible damage on the back of their vehcile you should win easy. But if there is damage on the back of their vehicle you will have a hard time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">