• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Bank of America...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racegoat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

A while back my husband and I fell victim to one of those online "work at home" scams that requires you to cash a check,keep a small portion, and send it on. (yes, I know, retarded) We took a funky looking check to our bank and cashed it, depositing our alloted amount and took the bulk in cash. The teller did not seem to verify the check in any way, or make us wait (it was over 4000 dollars), just simply cashed it and handed us the money.A few days later we were notified the check was no good and learned we were responsible for the whole amount. We went in to the bank and explained to the same teller why we were there and she said "I thought that check looked funny." In speaking to the bank manager we were assured that we were in fact responsible for the total amount. Our account was closed and the bank promptly turned the matter over to their legal department.We've been dealing with trying to pay it off ever since and it has wrecked our ability to open an account at other banks,etc.

My question is how would we fair if we took BoA to small claims court in an effort to collect half the total amount? THEY are the banking experts and did nothing to verify the check.How were we to know it was not good? I feel they should share in the blame and responsibility.We were stupid, so were they. This is ruining us financially, for them it's 27 seconds of bounced check charges....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

Zero chance. You are not going to sue B of A for accepting a check and win. You have no damages for *their* action. Your damages are solely from *your* action.

racer72

Your only recourse is to sue the party that caused the problem, that would be the scum that sent you the check to cash. Good luck finding and suing the scum, they are likely long gone.

Gail in Georgia

Sounds like a version of the "Nigerian scam". Most folks who get notified that they owe the bank the funds from the fake check go to local law enforcement who tell them they have two options..

1. Pay back the bank.

2. Don't pay them back and get sued by them.

The scammers who perpetuate these things are typically out of the US.

Gail

Antigone*

My question is how would we fair if we took BoA to small claims court in an effort to collect half the total amount? THEY are the banking experts and did nothing to verify the check.How were we to know it was not good? I feel they should share in the blame and responsibility.We were stupid, so were they. This is ruining us financially, for them it's 27 seconds of bounced check charges....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your stupidity is your problem, just as your financial woes are.

Sue the bank:confused: you can't be serious:eek:

racegoat,

Many others have tried to sue the banks as a result of this scam. Those lawsuits have not been successful. It's not worth the money you'll spend on filing fees, etc. to bring the lawsuit- you are better off using that money to satisfy the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">