• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Best Buy in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrokenDreamsMI

What is the name of your state- Michigan

In 2009 I purchased a 46" LCD TV and 4 year Black Tie Protection Plan from Best Buy. The TV is currently broken, and Best Buy is refusing to honor the price that was agreed upon for the repair when the technician came to my home.

When I file my case in small claims court, would it be appropriate for me to sue for the cost of a replacement television since the company will not honor the service contract I agreed to, and estimates for the part needed to replace would exceed the cost of repairing the television?

justalayman

does Best Buy provide their own warranties or are they simply a warranty contract from a 3rd party sold through Best Buy?

In any case, you would not be eligible for replacement cost but either the repair or the depreciated value of the television you currently own, whichever is less.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
does Best Buy provide their own warranties or are they simply a warranty contract from a 3rd party sold through Best Buy?

In any case, you would not be eligible for replacement cost but either the repair or the depreciated value of the television you currently own, whichever is less.
Here are some pertinent points from your warranty Terms & Conditions:

• If we determine, in our sole discretion that your
product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a
product of like kind and quality that is of comparable
performance or reimburse you for replacement of the
product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion,
equal to the current market value of the product, as
determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase
price of your product, including taxes.

• Technological advances may result in a replacement
product with a lower selling price than the original
product.

ETA: This means that they don't HAVE to "repair" it - you may end up with a credit for less than what you paid for the TV in 2009.

BL

What do you mean , best buy will not honor the warranty ?

The Store where purchased ?

If so, have you written ,faxed,or call the higher up's offices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12104&type=page

Contact Information

Customer Service, Web Site, Store and General/Corporate Inquiries

Best Buy Corporate Customer Care

P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis , MN 55440
1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) , OR

After that if no satisfactory reply ( as they won't honor the warranty ) , file a complaint with your local Office Of Attorney General - consumer affairs .

The have the right contact to forward your complaint to.

latigo

You will get this issue resolved faster and cheaper by filing a consumer complaint with the Michigan Attorney Generals Office Consumer Protection Division than you will by taking Best Buy to court.

For information on how to file call these offices:

Consumer Protection Division
P.O. Box 30213-7713
Lansing, MI 48909
1-877-765-8388

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP wants BB to pay for the cost of repair. BB is not required to do that (per the terms of the warranty). See my prior post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">