• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a big bank likes Wells Fargo??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckwanjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently purchased an official check and deposited into the Well Fargo bank, for some reasons the check is suspected as a fraudulent check and they freeze my account, and at the end they closed my account. They refused to give me back the couple thousand dollar of the suspected fraudulent check. I checked with the bank where I purchased the official check, they said the check was already cleared and the fund is with Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo already has the fund, they still need a written confirmation saying they issue the check and the check is good with the clear day. (if that's a fraudulent check, how could the bank receive the money??) However, the bank where I bought the check can't write something like that unless Wells Fargo send them a letter saying they suspect it's a fraudulent check, but Wells Fargo refused to do so. So basically I am stuck, they verbally confirmed the check is good but can't give any written confirmation. How can I get my money back? Is it something that I can get back from small claims court? That's a lot of money for me and those are my saving...

Any advices are appreciated! Thanks much!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently purchased an official check and deposited into the Well Fargo bank, for some reasons the check is suspected as a fraudulent check and they freeze my account, and at the end they closed my account. They refused to give me back the couple thousand dollar of the suspected fraudulent check. I checked with the bank where I purchased the official check, they said the check was already cleared and the fund is with Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo already has the fund, they still need a written confirmation saying they issue the check and the check is good with the clear day. (if that's a fraudulent check, how could the bank receive the money??) However, the bank where I bought the check can't write something like that unless Wells Fargo send them a letter saying they suspect it's a fraudulent check, but Wells Fargo refused to do so. So basically I am stuck, they verbally confirmed the check is good but can't give any written confirmation. How can I get my money back? Is it something that I can get back from small claims court? That's a lot of money for me and those are my saving...

Any advices are appreciated! Thanks much!
Why did you buy the "official check" at another bank if only to deposit it at Wells.

There is a lot more to this story.

Hot Topic

No wonder Wells Fargo is suspicious. The OP uses the term "official check" without explaining exactly what that means.

Antigone*

No wonder Wells Fargo is suspicious. The OP uses the term "official check" without explaining exactly what that means.
Why anyone would "buy" an "official check" at one bank just to deposit it at another sets off red flags big time.

That does not change the fact that Wells has the right to close out this account. Once Wells does their due diligence and their invesigation is over if money is due to the customer, they will send it to him.

Hot Topic

Note that the OP didn't name the other bank, and that he/she expects Wells Fargo to return the amount of the check even though they've determined the check to be fraudulent.

ckwanjr

I got the official check/cashier check from a MN TCF bank because I was moving from MN to CA, which there is no TCF branch in CA. I hope it makes sense. I closed my a/c in MN TCF bank and got the official check with the balance of the a/c, and deposited into Wells Fargo in MN right away. I hope it clarifies.

Dave1952

So, Wells Fargo opened the account, took the check, and then decide to close the account but did not return the check. How much money are we talking about? What's the small claims limit in Mn.?
Go to Wells Fargo and demand the return of the bank check. It's your check if they won't honor it. Give them a week then file in small claims if they fail to make good on this mess.
Once you have the check take your business elsewhere.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">