• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a CA company and I live in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcj

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,
I had purchased some items (decorative window bands) thru the internet from a company based in California. When the items were arrived, they were damaged. I notified the company via email, they had me go to their website and fill out a damaged goods claim form, which I did. They never bothered to pick up the items and replace them even though I have an email stating they would do so. After trying all the other routes to get this resolved (the BBB, the FTC, the Dept of Consumer Affairs both in CA and FL) the problem still hasn't been resolved. The FTC referred me to the Dept of Consumer Affairs who both stated they couldn't do anything, and the BBB was basically worthless as well. I have the damaged goods, have saved the emails, but Im out 700.00 want to take them to small claims court.
Can I sue them in FL which is where the transaction took place and serve them a subpeona via certified mail? If I do have to pay a process server to serve them in California I don't mind doing it, but can I add that the cost of that onto my damages as well as the court costs? Also, if they don't show up and I win by default, any advice on how I could collect a judgement (assuming I win the case?)
Thanks in advance for your response.

racer72

Your Florida judgment would be worthless in California. Take another stab on where you will have to sue if you want to collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">